Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCMCIA SRAM Card to USB adapter, emulator, etc...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreed81

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We have several older Van Dorn/Demag plastic injection molding machines that utilize PCMCIA SRAM cards for memory used to store machine files. We have had terrible luck with these devices. They randomly lose all data. We also have a lot of trouble storing files from the machine to a PC. Generally, the SRAM is not readable to the PC. We are exploring different options for memory. I recently purchased an adapter (PCMCIA to compact flash) and the machine will not recognize the compact flash card as readable memory. We had similar problems with our other machines that utilize 3.5" floppy drives, but we replaced them with floppy to USB emulators with great success. Is there an emulator for PCMCIA SRAM to allow storage on USB jump drive? Any ideas on how to get the machine to talk to a more dependable storage device?

Thanks,
Scott

I recently purchased an adapter (PCMCIA to compact flash) and the machine will not recognize the compact flash card as readable memory. We had similar problems with our other machines that utilize 3.5" floppy drives, but we replaced them with floppy to USB emulators with great success. Is there an emulator for PCMCIA SRAM to allow storage on USB jump drive? Any ideas on how to get the machine to talk to a more dependable storage device?

Does the PCMCIA to Compact Flash adapter require a driver?

Also, what type and size Compact Flash cards have you tried with the PCMCIA adapter?

BigDog

Sorry, also the adapter doesn't indicate that a driver is required. It came from Addonics and had no software. My PC didn't try to install any drivers when I inserted it... just brought up the drive in My Computer as it would if you were downloading images.

There is a chance the host system may not recognize the newer, higher speed or large capacity CF cards.

When installed in the PC, does the PCMCIA to CF adapter recognize the current CF card?

If so, you may want to try a lower capacity and performance CF card in your injection machines.

Perhaps, a CF card with a 64MB, 256MB or 512MB capacity.

Also, what type of OS are the injection machines currently running?

Are there expansion slots available?

BigDog

I will get a small capacity CF and give that a try. Not sure what the OS is, but I am pretty sure it is proprietary. No expansion slot.

I located a 32MB CF card and tried it out. Got the same results "usable device not loaded". Does a PC and/or proprietary contoller generally see memory differently (SRAM vs CF vs Jump Drive)? I do not understand memory at that level to determine why I am having an issue. I understand how the emulator worked that I replaced our floppy drives with and also that I could not have replaced it with a different kind of reader that didn't otherwise "trick" the machine into thinking it was reading a 1.44MB disk. I almost think that is what I need for these type controllers. Problem is the emulators I am finding all say SATA not SRAM and again I don't understand it on this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back