Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB various track size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac84

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
I'm using Altium Designer for my PCB design. I'm just wondering is there a rule which says what kind of connection must use what width of track size? I mean like I know that if I'm drawing the track for the power, I must use a bigger width track size. But what exactly is the width? Is it depend on how much current flow through?

Sorry, I'm use to using Altium. Not planning to use a new software.
So, I just want to know is there any rule book for track width on pcb?
I mean like how much current a 10mil width track can carry?

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

I found this website **broken link removed**
Is it reliable?

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

I saw that there's this temperature raise of 10C, 20C or 30C spec. How do we determine this value?

IPC has rules for that and they'll be happy to sell you a membership, or download Saturn PCB Toolkit which has them all programmed.

Once you install, go to tab "conductor properties" enter in your trace geometry and allowable temperature rise, and it will give you the max current.

There a handy one here also - **broken link removed** online version so no download needed but you will need to register.

Tempreture rise is the difference between your expected ambient temperature and what you think the temperature may get up too always better to err on the high side unless you have to meet a specific spec.

Most people I know who do PCB design (and I know a few) use the Saturn Toolkit and have it on their desktop, If you are going to do PCb design I would reccomend you download it and use it.
Temp rise above ambient, I use 10 degrees to play safe. But for commercial you can use 20 deg C.
IPC-2152 is the standard for current capacity.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back