Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB transformer from 5 to 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkace

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
circuit for double voltage

Hi,
I want to use a transformer from 5V to 350V. I know just a few things about transformers in PCBs. So, can somebody explain the basics around transformers and suggest how can I build or find one to fit my specifications? The output current is small, the transformer drives a UV sensor.
D.

german pcb transformer

for small current, use diode circuit for double voltage, it can step up to high voltage.

Ok, current is smal, but I don't want double voltage I want 350/5 == 70 times more. The current is 10-30mAs. The question is how can I build a circuit with a transforer to give me this output.
D.

The best solution is to use CCFL transformer from

**broken link removed**

For a schematic you can search MAXIM or Linear sites. There are schematics for the CCFL backlight lamps. But you do not need to use their chips. Just make a current driven converter, powered trough inductor.
The output voltage is a function of the input voltage. Besides this converter has a sinusoidal output and makes less noise.

Varuzhan

Another option is to use a standard low-power transformer (5V/230V) and drive the secondary with a typical 50Hz square wave. On the HV output you will have 230Vac which after rectification should give you something about 336Vdc ..
Small mains transformers are off-the-shelf and not expencive ..

The best solution is to use CCFL transformer from

**broken link removed**

For a schematic you can search MAXIM or Linear sites. There are schematics for the CCFL backlight lamps. But you do not need to use their chips. Just make a current driven converter, powered trough inductor.
The output voltage is a function of the input voltage. Besides this converter has a sinusoidal output and makes less noise.

Varuzhan

Thanks Varuzhan, nice links but still I am lost.
I need a transformer with one secondary to drive a low current UV lamp, not a back light. What I have in mind is to build a transformer of my own, but I don't know the basics. So , still, if someone can give me specific guidence, is more than welcome.
D.

You can make in the secondary a bridge from fast 1kV or 600V diodes.
I do not recommend you to make a such transformer yourself,
you will get a lot of problems with it.

Varuzhan

Ok, you opened new horizons with your link my friend. I found several interesting applications in Linear that I am working on right now.
When I say I want to make it by my own, I mean in the case that such a transformer doesn't exist allready.
The bridge you are suggesting isn't it for rectifing the output? My original thought was to take a 350 to 5 and reverse it, but this would be quite huge wouldn't be?
I am still looking for some initial info on transformers, cores etc to guide me.
D.

dkace said:
I need a transformer with one secondary to drive a low current UV lamp, not a back light. What I have in mind is to build a transformer of my own, but I don't know the basics. So , still, if someone can give me specific guidence, is more than welcome.
D.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Get from the manufacturer the parameters for the UV lamp.
Use the following circuit to drive the lamp.
**broken link removed**
Attached MathCad file to calculate the circuit including the transformer.

Added after 9 minutes:

haymeron said:
dkace said:
D.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Get from the manufacturer the parameters for the UV lamp.
Use the following circuit to drive the lamp.
h**p://www.st.com/stonline/prodpres/discrete/powebipo/stsa851.htm
Attached MathCad file to calculate the circuit including the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back