Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB trace for carrying 24MHz clock signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinalmani

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
My work is generally limited to power electronics and therefore I do not have much of experience with high frequency signal transmission.
However, an application requires carrying 5 digital lines, from one portion of a 4-layer PCB to another portion. Length of traces will be approx 50mm. Frequency is 24MHz.

1. Do I need some special treatment for routing the lines or can I just route them simply as I have been routing other traces?

2. I used a simple microstrip impedance calculator software an it shows that at 24MHz the capacitance is approx 2pF/inch. For two inch trace it should be 4pF. This should be 1.8Kohm impedance at 24MHz, but the software shows an impedance of only 70Ohm. What am I missing?

3. Please give some guidelines how to route the traces with minimum mutual interference. Signal voltage = 3.3V

Thanks

2. I used a simple microstrip impedance calculator software an it shows that at 24MHz the capacitance is approx 2pF/inch. For two inch trace it should be 4pF. This should be 1.8Kohm impedance at 24MHz, but the software shows an impedance of only 70Ohm. What am I missing?
You are missing the basics of transmission line theory. Characteristic transmission line impedance Z0 = √L/C.

Do I need some special treatment for routing the lines?
50 mm is rather short. Worst case your transmission line is unmatched at both ends, e.g. shorted by a low impedance source and open at the load side. A fast edge causes reflecting waves running multiple times back and forth, slowly decaying. In practice, a CMOS gate driving the line has already 10 - 30 ohms output impedance which might be sufficient to limit the ringing. Inserting a series resistor that adds up source impedance to the transmission line impedance can absorb multiple signal reflections completely, at least in a point-to-point connection.

Hi!

You are confusing Reactance with Impedance.
Both are measured in ohms but they are different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back