Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB soldering, wondering if my iron is suitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

usinjin

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm hoping to get into electronics and PCB soldering. I currently have a Weller SP23LK (25 watt), which seems pretty good, except it needs a new tip. I was wondering if this is a good iron for what I have in mind--my next project is to try to re-solder some blown capacitors on a motherboard (they're very tiny). I could keep my current iron, or I was even looking to get a station like the WES51. Is the SP23LK good enough for tiny-electronics work, or would a nicer setup like a station be a good idea? Thanks.

A pointed tip is just the thing for very fine work.

Is your station portable? Got everything you need with it? Portability is a plus. (I recall making trips up and down stairs to fetch tools I forgot.) Flux? Sponge or wire pad? Solder? Component holder with alligator clips and magnifying glass? Razor blade? Needle-nose pliers? Extension cord? By now you're needing a suitcase.

I use a sharpening stone for scraping tarnish off wires, metal contacts, etc. (Second best is sandpaper or razor blade.)

I use a 100 W gun for most all soldering. For fine work I wedge a heavy wire loop in the tip. This is because of something I once read in an excellent electronics book. The author says you want high power, to heat up a joint quickly, get in, melt the solder, get out. In contrast a low watt tool is less desirable because it takes longer time to heat things to soldering temperature, allowing heat to spread to other solder joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back