Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Prototyping & Custom Enclosure Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

arturbdg

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how many people in UK would be interested in rapid PCB Prototyping services - probably up to 2 layer PCB at start and Custom Enclosure services.

Generally speaking I am thinking about opening my own business where I would build low volume PCB Prototypes as well as Enclosures and Modifications of available ones. The idea came up because of the fact that I am Electronic Technician myself (currently working for Quality Assurance, although looking to go into Engineering in the near future) and I am building my own projects.

Unfortunately I came across a problem where getting a nice low volume PCB's is a bit of pain just as well as building boxes for them (not much point in building an amplifier when you don't have a nice enlosure for it).

That gave my idea of actually finding a means to build them myself and with that I would be capable of building them for other people.

List of my capabilities would be as follows:
1) PCB up to 2 sided - short runs for a low price and quick turnaround
2) Enclosures from plastics, aluminium (probably up to 3-4mm), wood and soft metals
3) Various type of knobs, custom pushbuttons, etc. - to suit your enclosure
4) Front panels for enclosures

At the moment I am looking at the number of people who would be interested in my service. Don't have prices set although initially I would like to make it as cheap as possible - I remember the days when I was a student and tried to build something but couldn't due to the fact that minimum number of PCB's in a local manufacturing company was 10 with a price of 50 euro for starters.

I'd like to make it cheap - allow the possibility to use your materials - sometimes you got the materials you need just don't have the tools to build it.

If you would be interested could you just post some info here - if you would have any specific requirements please let me know as well

Regards Artur

Are you aware of the PCB and front panel offerings of companies such as PCB-Pool?

Keith

Are you aware of the PCB and front panel offerings of companies such as PCB-Pool?

Keith

Just checked them and
1) not in UK as far as I have noticed
2) 2 layer no solder mask 100mm x 100mm costs 40GBP
3)A4 front panel with simple cutouts and 50 letters of engraved txt costs 80EUR 2mm black anodized aluminium

For many amateurs it is just overkill-what I am looking to do is something for half of the price of them-roughly. Just need an idea how many people would be genuinely interested.

Artur

If you have only just come across PCB-Pool then you need to research the companies already in the marketplace. They have been doing it for ages. The boards are usually shipped from Ireland. Since PCB-Pool started low cost, no setup cost PCBs there have been lots of other companies entering that market and bringing prices down. There are also a lot of Chinese companies who will do prototypes cheaply.

I am not a hobbyist but from the ones I know, they either etched their own PCBs or use companies like PCB-Pool. They build their own boxes etc.

Keith

By the way, are you planning to offer double sided PTH boards? PCB-Pool also do single sided at lower cost.

A lot of hobbyists also use veroboard.

If you can start the business with minimal outlay and while you still have your day job, that may be the way to find out the demand. It is very difficult to find out what the market is for products or services otherwise.

I sell a small product into the hobbyist market (an electronic product to a non-electronic market) and it is surprising how many people would rather struggle for weeks to get something working than spend less than £10 on something that works!

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back