Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB plating peeling cuasie (ImAg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emontllo

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I am having an issue with a PCB after soldering. Apparently, the plating can be easily peeled. This is a major quality problem as the copper can be exposed and solder quality is not guaranteed.
We have detected this after reflow soldering and the source is unclear.
Do you think it is caused by poor PCB process? the PCB supplier is high quality - expensive - one and they say that the boards passed all quality processes.
Could the problem be caused during reflow? or chemical contamination?
Your feedback will be greatly appreciated!
PlatingIssues.PNG

PlatingIssue2.PNG

First of all, I would like to say that this fault can be of soldering and besides that if you do not use good quality copper while soldering, then it will create problems regularly. Yes, it might be caused during reflow also.

emontllo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,
First of all, I would like to say that this fault can be of soldering and besides that if you do not use good quality copper while soldering, then it will create problems regularly. Yes, it might be caused during reflow also.
As far as I can see these pads are not soldered at all.
And what "copper while soldering" do you mean?

Klaus

emontllo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
We are investigating the process. It looks like the origin is the use of an aggressive PCB cleaner (Water based Alkaline) that may not be totally compatible with Immersion Silver PCBs, specially after some reflow cycles...

Status
Not open for further replies.