Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Material Dielectric

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpyann

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dielectric thickness pcb

Is the dielectric of the material pcb such as FR4, nelco etc change with the changes of its temperature?

pcb high resin content

yes,it will change with frequency also

Yes, and you can find this changes in the Attached table

Thanks all.

And how if the material is being press. Because in fab, they're going to press the material right to get the desired thickness. Is it gonna change the dielectric also?

Does the speed of signal change according to the different dielectric?

yes ,the speed of the signal will depend on dielectric material.the speed of the signal is inversly propotional to dielectric constant

And how if the material is being press. Because in fab, they're going to press the material right to get the desired thickness. Is it gonna change the dielectric also?

well, i am also curious whether the dielectric thickness will change when they press the dielectric during fab...

this is because changing in dielectric thickness can japordise impedance matching of a trace... (therefore... trace is not properly matched... can effect the frequency of signals intended to be transmitted through the trace)
when signals travels through an unmatched trace not proportional to its speed; the signal will suffer loss and quality of the signal will be japordised.

but judging from my previous pcb fabricators; usually... pressing the material does not effect the dielectric thickness much... (dielectric constant of course does not change)
however, i am not sure if your board design is uptill 24 layers, whether the dielectric thickness will be effected....

this is just my observation ; i am not a pcb designer.. i just design high speed boards uptill 6 layers for design verification....

correct me if I am wrong....

All the dielectric material vary for frequency and temperature.

scorpyann said:
Thanks all.

The press is quite constant. What differs is the resin content for various sizes of material. For example look at differences between different prepregs in the following pictures. Imagine a sandwitch using those in different combinations.
The resin content will be heavily different.

Hi everybody !!!

You should pay attention to the 'real' stackup of your PCB, and especially the resin content.
Most of the time, the specification are given for 'pure' material.

When the PrePreg is fabricated, there is some resin is added to glue the fibrous laminate. The resin has a different dielectric constant, and the actual dielectric constant vary, depending on the resin content.

You have to call your PCB manufacturer to have the actual values...
In fact, there is a dielectric constant for each laminate thickness for a given material.
Here is a datasheet of High Tg PCB material from isola.
You could see that the impact of the resin content of the dielectric is more important than the frequency....
I 'm not designing critical High speed PCB, but I have heard that for small series, the manufacturer buy a stock, make measure, and then adapt the design to the characteristics of the stocked material...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back