Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB: Drill & Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Drill:

I'm looking at the proxxon range of pcb drills and notice there are 2 versions: 12v DC and 240v AC

So my question( as same price )...which voltage/wattage system is preferable?

Proxxon Micromot 50/EF 12V Rotary Tool

Direct voltage 12 - 18V.
40W.
5,000 - 20,000/min.

Keyless chuck with 0.3 - 3.2mm .
20 mm standard collar
Length 220mm.
Weight 230g.

PROXXON - MICROMOT 50/EF

which requires external psu...

Proxxon Micromot NG 2/E Variable Speed Transformer

220 - 240V.
2.0A at 16 Volt open circuit and 12 Volt under load.
Weight 1,000g.

PROXXON - NG 2/E - NG 2/S

OR

Proxxon FBS 240/E Precsion Drill/Grinder

5,000 - 20,000rpm.
100W
AC 220 - 240V

Keyless chuck with 0.3 - 3.2mm .
20 mm standard collar
Length 200mm.
Weight 450g.

PROXXON - FBS 240/E
As well as keyless chuck the above drill is compatible with the Proxxon set of collets consisting of sizes:

1.0 - 1.5 - 2.0 - 2.4 - 3.0 and 3.2mm.
With clamping nut and holder for storage.

PROXXON - Steel collet set

smallest is 1.0mm ...could I buy a 0.7mm and 0.8mm collet from another manufacturer to add to the set......is it a standard size?

I read one review saying the Dremel(300) drill has accuracy issues due to 'movement' in the drill shaft ...having never drilled a pcb before; I would welcome advice/opinion on dremel or other suitable drills?

Stand:

The compatible proxxon stand received some criticism..
I notice the words "precision" and "accurate" are missing from the description. Quite right too. Not a good example of German engineering.

...& read similar on other brands; so I'm wondering if budget stands are adequate for 0.7mm drilling; ...what brand/type of stand would people recommend?

I have a vague memory seeing a stand years ago that looked a bit like an old singer sewing machine...the only thing I've found that looks similar is this:
dremelStand.jpg

but having looked around they seem quite rare & expensive..has anyone used this type of stand?
Dremel Drill Stand

Last edited:

I have a Proxxon mains drill VERY pleased with it, metal gearbox end , it came with a full set of collets which will hold down to .005(?) diam. Cost about £90 20 years ago. As for your question, I would always go for the mains version unless you are going mobile. Collets are different between manufacturers. I had used a "Dremel" type at work and found them to be difficult to use. You get what you pay for. My one shall go to my grandson when I shuffle of this mortal coil. As for a stand the one I used to use seems to have vapourised.
Frank

Reactions: tuk

tuk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks for the reply Frank,

I know I said the Proxxon MB 140/S drill stand got a bad user review, but after a bit more research I'm reconsidering ...proxxon appear to be a reputable German drill company with a decent range of micro power tools

good comparison here between drills/stands( proxxon and dremel ), the proxxon drill(IB/E) is only slightly different from the FBS 240/E I'm looking at...the main difference seems to be the IB/E is 'collet only' while the FBS 240/E uses both collets and keyless chuck....the stand is the MB 140/S in question
Drill stand review: Dremel 220-01 vs. Proxxon Micromot MB 140/S - YouTube

not a great video but gives an idea of the quality in the proxxon stand and the drill is a FBS 240/E ...seems quiet
Proxxon FBS 240/E PCB drilling - YouTube

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back