Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

David916

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all!

My name is David and I have a big problem and was hoping someone could offer some general advice about deep cleaning a corroded or oxidized PCB.

I have a heavy duty conveyor belt that worked perfectly fine until I let it sit outside during the rain season in California and it now powers on and the digital display comes on but doesn't send a signal to the motor. I opened the cover and it looks like there is some corrosion buildup. I read online that you can clean a corroded PCB by mixing 3 parts distilled water and 1 part baking soda into a slurry and letting it sit on the PCB for a few hours and then brushing and rinsing it off. I'm a bit concerned because I don't want to mess anything up or get electrocuted and was wondering if someone with a bit more knowledge than I could offer some very general advice.

I'm a welder by trade and have very limited knowledge about electronics (probably why I get zapped all the time) and apologize if I posted in the wrong form. :)

David
AnvilTools.US
--- Updated ---

I guess my real question is would i be able to spray it with a PCB cleaner and rinse with with water without doing damage to it?
I will unplug it before doing anything but see that there is a 350v capacitor and don't want to hurt myself or the board.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• 20200922_140946.jpg
    20200922_140946.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 99
  • 20200922_140936.jpg
    20200922_140936.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
  • 20200922_140956.jpg
    20200922_140956.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Only little of the board is corroded although just one broken trace can cause your malfunction. Don't try to clean it with chemicals just yet, since you can try a few diagnostics using a voltmeter.

Do you hear the relay clicking at any time? That is the most likely component which sends power to the motor.

What volt levels are suppose to appear at the terminal strip? It looks as though the wires carry heavy current. Try tightening down the wires, especially since stranded wires tend to loosen under a screw connection.

To clean a corroded or oxidized PCB, Use cotton swabs and a cleaning solution such as isopropyl alcohol, baking soda and water, or even vinegar to clean it. Gently apply the solution to the affected area and wipe back and forth until the corrosion is removed. If necessary, leave some of the solution on the corroded area and wipe it off later.It is the best technique to clean a corroded or oxidized PCB.

If you use a vinegar to clean a PCB dont' forget to rinse it (a PCB!) with clean water and wipe it don't leave any acid there and make it fully dry with a hair dryer or else before putting it back and covering.
A PCB cleaner is a good idea and will you check a rubber seal under the cover lo close out a water/steam from (?) the box.
If you can build a small roof or cover above the box it helps to prevent a water to enter in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back