Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Conformal Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

me_guitarist

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
conformal coating for hobbyist

Hi guys,

I'm wondering how to make a simple set up to coat my PCB on silicone base coating.
My preferred method is spray, any comments like environment, air filter, curing, cleaning, type of used coating bla......

Thanks in advance!

confirmal coating on top of pcb

For the environment, make it as dust free as possible but ensure plenty of ventilation.
and ALWAYS use masks to protect your lungs, coating them in conformal coating is not good :D

russian conformal coating

how bout the air filter to filter moisture from compressor? any comments?

Hi,
In addition to all the good things that have been said so far, the greatest secret that I have found to successful conformal coating is to spray the boards hot, heat the boards to about 60 to 70 deg C in an oven and spray on the conformal coating in as dust free an environment as possible on one side while the boards are still hot, I have always used an aerosol spray can as the number of boards required in my batches are always small but at that temperature moisture in your sprayer air supply is unlikely to be a problem. Then place the coated boards in an oven (preferrably with an air circulation fan in it) and bake them at about 60 deg C for at least 4 hours until the conformal coating has hardened, then spray the other side while it is still hot. Use an industrial oven, not the one in your kitchen as it will probably smell of conformal coating for days! :D This will result in boards that are beautifully shiny, blemish free and very water resistant.
I hope this helps
Best regards,
Bob

Conformal coating are only needed in hostile environments like in the tropics. For hobby projects in Europe or North America, none are needed.

me guitarist, can you let everyone know what sort of production you are talking about?

Is this home hobbyist, few boards or are you talking about mass production in a factory?

Also what environment will the boards be used in?
whats going to happen to them once they are made?

Answer those simple questions & we would be better informed to advise you.

I'm talking about mass production in a factory.

The environment will be high moisture & humidity. Like inside a freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back