Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Antenna Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckJJ

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb antenna simulation

Hi hi,

I would like to design and simulate a printed/PCB antenna for 2.4GHz application to find out its performance.

I am thinking of using either IE3D or HFSS.

Which one would give a more accurate simulation results closer to the actual?

Thanks. :D

pcb antenna simulator

That will have to depend on how your model your antenna in both simulator. its important to model as close as possible as the design that you are going to build to get the most accurate result.

It is true what mahojazz suggested. In my view, you can start with IE3D since it is very easy and fast to design an antenna with air substrate. After you are happy with the results from IE3D, you can use the original substrate, however, takes much time to simulate (in that case, you can simulate it in HFSS). Please bear in mind that, if you use air substrate in IE3D, you have to scale the structure with respect to the new substrate (many guys don't like this approach, though!).

i think IE3D and microiowave studio is better . you can go for FEKO als0

For IE3D, it defines an infinite ground plane. Will this affect the accuracy of the result??

Thanks.

shameemkabir said:
It is true what mahojazz suggested. In my view, you can start with IE3D since it is very easy and fast to design an antenna with air substrate. After you are happy with the results from IE3D, you can use the original substrate, however, takes much time to simulate (in that case, you can simulate it in HFSS). Please bear in mind that, if you use air substrate in IE3D, you have to scale the structure with respect to the new substrate (many guys don't like this approach, though!).

Hi, ckjj:

By default, you can use infinite ground on IE3D. You should get very accurate s-parameters or input impedance normally. Pattern may be different due to infinite ground. If you want to get more accurate pattern, you should define finite ground. You nromally will get about the same in s-parameters while the pattern will be closer to reality. Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back