Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC817 optocoupler in Darlington configuration with 2N4401 OR ANY NPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

asking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PC817_DARLINGTON.JPG

Can i use this configuration to drive 12 VDC SSR Relay or 12 VDC Coil Relay ? Please suggest do i need to keep 220R Resistor in between 2 Transistor ? If i use as darlington pair directly will it damage PC817 ?

Please suggest.

That will drive the relays but you need a diode across terminals 1 and 2 (anode to 1) to suppress the inductive spike of a mechanical relay coil.

The value of R20 is too low, as the opto coupler cannot provide that much current (worst-case, the output current is 50% of the input current).
Thus R20 needs to be at least 1.3kΩ
A Darlington pair will work fine to output more current as long as it's connected the same as you show Q5.

That will drive the relays but you need a diode across terminals 1 and 2 (anode to 1) to suppress the inductive spike of a mechanical relay coil.

The value of R20 is too low, as the opto coupler cannot provide that much current (worst-case, the output current is 50% of the input current).
Thus R20 needs to be at least 1.3kΩ
A Darlington pair will work fine to output more current as long as it's connected the same as you show Q5.

Thanks for verification, yes i will put diode across relay if i use mechanical relay. I think for SSR i don't need any such protection.

Hi,

for an SSR you don´t need an optocoupler at all.
And many SSRs work with 5V input voltage.

Klaus

hi , opto coupler cant drive highcurrent , so 220R resistance is very low , check the datasheet for max current can be driven , and use golden V=IR rule to calculate Resistance :D

Status
Not open for further replies.