Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC VGA MONITOR CONTROL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

controller

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

how do i control pc vga monitor with microcontroller?

i need information about RGB and SYNC signals (i.e. timing, voltage level...).

Thanks...

Do you really mean the original IBM VGA from around 1987? Or any modern analog computer monitor?

Maybe you want VESA-2002-12 - Video Signal Standard (VSIS).
**broken link removed**

But it's expensive, and maybe overkill. I wonder if there's a copy floating around somewhere.
Who knows a good web site with monitor interface info? I can't find one.

i am talking about modern our currently use computer color monitor.

i want to pc monitor control without computer.

i need RGB full color control with microcontroller.

The VGA monitor is basically analog monitor with individual Red, Green, Blue with H-Sync & V-Sync inputs. You can find the connection details on net. If I find some, I'll put here.

In which way, you mean controlling the VGA monitor? By varying the voltage levels, analog levels, not digital values, we can virtually show infinite colors on VGA screen, which is one of the speciality of VGA CRT displays. But the horizontal & vertical sync pulses should be taken care of properly, by your embedded system.

The VGA cards, use high speed Digital to Analog Converters to convert the input digital value to equivalant analog voltage on perticular pin. A 24bit colour display shows, the first byte is loaded to Red DAC, second byte to Green DAC & finally the third byte to Blue DAC. Of course, it might not be so simple as I keyed in here. There might be some correction factors applied to individual colour values. Except for the H-Sync & V-Sync pulses, R, G & B are continuous in the range of 0-5V. The sync pulses are descrete between 0-5V.

Hence, to show a scene on VGA screen, use three DAC's, one each for Red, Green & Blue. They should be of high speed, but resolution can be less, for example, an 8 bit total will show only 256 colours & it's good amount for a small embedded system. All that you need to do, is to split the colour value across three DAC's.

The best bet I have is, grab some good old VGA card for ISA bus, interface it to your microcontroller and load the colour values into the card's VGA array & lo! Your VGA info is on screen. You don't need to generate any H-Sync or V-Sync. But you need to program the card, of course you can get it from programmer's manual for that card.

Hope this helps, need more, can contact just_srinu@yahoo.com

Srinu

I suggest using an old ISA graphic card.(for example: trident)
This is easier then controlling directly the monitor.

thanks guttinasrinivas & ego;

is there a application with graphic card you know?

controller said:
thanks guttinasrinivas & ego;

is there a application with graphic card you know?

look at this:
**broken link removed**

CalMotion is a company from California that has come up with an interesting It is based on the PIC18F8722 and it is a PC/104 "motherboard". In other words they have replaced what is normally an Intel X386 or higher type of processor on an industrial standard platform called PC/104.

Their message is that MPLAB, the ICD2 interface and our C compiler are superior tools compared to the old PC/104 DOS operating system, compilers and debugging/emulation tools available. While the performance of the PICmicro (40MHz) and the powerful peripheral set are more than adequate

for most industrial applications.

As a result of the adoption of the PC/104 standard, literally thousands of expansion and dedicated application boards are available immediately to all PICmicro users.

Ever wanted a VGA display on a PICmicro? Now you can, just plug it in! How about opto isolated I/Os? DACs? Serial ports? Motor control units?...

Just name an industrial control component and you can count on finding it in a PC/104 catalog.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back