Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Thermometer DS18S20

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulson

ssssss
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ds18b20 software

This incredibly simple thermometer plugs on any free serial port. Does not make use of any programmable components as microcontrollers. It gives temperature readings accurate to 0.5°C with no calibration. It's very cheap (DS18S20 cost in Dallas-Maxim less than 3$)

The DS1820 thermometer from Dallas Semiconductors DS1820 is suitable for this kind of applications. Multidrop capability simplifies connection using only two wires. Features:

unique 64-bit lasered ROM code in each sensor
measuring range -55...+125 °C
accuracy ± 0.5 °C between 0...70 °C
resolution 0.5 °C, also higher resolution possible
uses 1-Wire(tm) interface (DATA, GND)
powered from DATA line

**broken link removed**

Description: http://www.nic.fi/~kalliala/onewire_e.htm
Powerful software: **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

ds18s20 thermometer

i have used this IC with a 68HC11 microprocessor. very simple, requires only 1 resistor as an external part (it can operate in "parasitic" mode in which the resistor is not even needed!!) one signal line, power & ground.

my advice, use an oscilliscope to verify that you are meeting the *minimum* timing requirements as listed in the datasheet of the DS18B20.

happy building.

Mr.Cool

Reactions: dorelb

dorelb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ds1820 software

oh yeah, forgot to mention. you can order the DS18B20 FREE (as a sample product) from w*w.maxim-ic.com

;)

Mr.Cool

ds1820 pc

Mr.Cool said:
i have used this IC with a 68HC11 microprocessor. very simple, requires only 1 resistor as an external part (it can operate in "parasitic" mode in which the resistor is not even needed!!) one signal line, power & ground.

my advice, use an oscilliscope to verify that you are meeting the *minimum* timing requirements as listed in the datasheet of the DS18B20.

happy building.

Mr.Cool

Interesting, what pin did you use on the HC11?
How long could the wire between the DS1820 and the HC11 be?
Do you have any schematic to show?
What about multiple devices on that bus?
Possibly any code?

Regards

ds1820 serial port

i used pin PA7. this is a generic I/O pin.
i do not know the maximum length of the wire. perhaps the datasheet can tell you. the wire i used was about 4 feet long.
the schematic is too simple. power, ground, one resistor.

you can find a picture of schematic and code (written for a PIC 16F877) here:

h**p://w*w.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/product/books/picbasicbook/07.htm#7.10%20Digital%20termometer%20DS1820

Mr.Cool

pc thermometer

Hello! Im new here! I would like to ask help how to write the code of this PC thermometer DS1820 in VB 6.0. Please help, my advance thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back