Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pc parallel port pwm output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milan-Sr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pwm parallel port

Hi,
Need help!
I want to use parallel port as a PWM output.
Those are my questions
1.How can I make it the easiest way
2.What is the frequency and resolution I can expect from PC parallel port

Thanks Milan

parallel port pwm

Using timer components of Delphi or C++ Builder, and using thread to do others jobs or using external reference. Windows don't give great accuracy timer, then if you need it very accurate use an external hardware clock reference (on input pin) and set your threads in tpHighest mode. This mode can stop others programs and mouse/keyboard, but for very accurate PWM(only for PC with high processors) I don't know other form.

In C++ use this for access the port:

//Register address of LPT1
#define Porta_Dados 0x378 //Output port
#define Porta_Estados 0x379 //Input port
#define Porta_Controle 0x37a //Control port

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------
void OutPortB( unsigned int Endereco, unsigned int Dado)
{
_DX = Endereco;
_AX = Dado;
//Begin assembly block
asm{

//Write AL Byte on port number DX
out dx, al

}
}

unsigned int InPortB (unsigned int Endereco)
{
_DX = Endereco;

asm{
in al, dx
mov ah, 0x00
}
//Return port value
return (_AX);
}

leomecma

pwm on parallel port

you also have to consider the current level of the parallel port on your PC. You might need a current-amplifier circuit to amplify the output from the PC. I've made a simple stepper motor control software a few years ago, and indeed I need to add a current-amplifier to interface with the stepper motor from PC parallel port. The architecture of as follows:

windows:
GUI (win32 API in C )<--> device driver (self made/quick hack) <-->parallel port -->current-amplifier --> stepper motor

linux:
console_app <--> linux port_IO <-->parallel port -->current-amplifier --> stepper motor

parallel to pwm

could u explain the code u posted a bit more coz can't understand it.

i was working on a same problem, to acess LPT port on XP or win32 OS. it resteced me to write directly.outport and in port were disabled.

so kindly explain

pwm parallel port c++

You need a driver to perform any port i/o operations under Windows NT/2000/XP.
Take a look at port i/o toolkits like TVicLPT or similar (winio, ntport, TVicPort and so on).

parallel port to pwm

Instead of parallel port, have you considerd using serial port?
It is much, much easier and accurate as the PWM is generated by a hardware specially design for this purpose ..
All what you need to do is to select a microcontroller (planty to choose from) with single(multi)-channel PWM module and a UART to communicate with a PC ..
Regards,
IanP

pwm pc

IanP said:
Instead of parallel port, have you considerd using serial port?
It is much, much easier and accurate as the PWM is generated by a hardware specially design for this purpose ..
All what you need to do is to select a microcontroller (planty to choose from) with single(multi)-channel PWM module and a UART to communicate with a PC ..
Regards,
IanP

yeah, I also thought this is a better solution. This will also ease you in the software side ;).

You can just use Visual Basic (instead of building custom drivers) and MSCOMM32 ocx (activeX control) to interface with the hardware by using RS-232. Much simler and easier to debug.

greetz,

Pinczakko

Interesting. i'm also trying to do PWM controlled through the serial port, but this project will involve 3-phase positioning of a servo motor. so I decided to try a propeller chip because of the 8 cogs can thread the tasks at hand, also each cog can be sync. to the clock pulses, so i figured use one cog for serial communications of, say, X, Y, Z positions, and others to coordinate delta positions and bit generation calculations. I just hope 80Mhz will get the job done in propeller assembly. I need three axis's(9 phases from 18 ports of pwm - > 9 I/O ports at a time) and a spindle control, with some sort of encoder to track positions. any suggestions or ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back