PC oscilloscope using PIC 18f4550 to plot high freq signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prathosh

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic oscilloscope

Hello everyone.
This is my first post in this forum. I am a student of 4th B Tech (ECE). I have planned to build a PC based USB oscilloscope using PIC 18f4550, to plot high frequency signals upto 10 MHz, in these vacations of mine. I am thinking of using external ADC made by TI for signal sampling,( TLC5540) which has sampling rate upto 40MSPS,since internal ADC has low sampling rate. I have used to programming PICs with MICROC compiler. It has inbuilt functions to handle HID transfers. But HID supports only control and interrupt transfers. I think if signal of 1 MHz is sampled at a rate of 10 MSPS, 1KB of data ( from a 8 bit ADC) will contain 100 cycles of a periodic signal, ( i have restricted my work to plotting periodic signals) which i think is fairly enough to display a signal.So, i believe that the HID would suffice. I have planned to use QWT(qt widgets for technical applications) for plotting the obtained data in the PC. Since i am just a beginner in this field of MCUs( in fact we have a regular course on MCU only in 6th sem), i need some help. I need to know if i am right with whatever i have thought.Can i move ahead? will MICROC compiler give optimized working HEX files? Thank you for your help in advance.

with regards..
A P Prathosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…