Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Based oscilloscope problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

engcu90

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I want to construct PC based oscilloscope. I made a simple design and these are problems that face me:

1- My adc range from 0:5 v and it doesn't read -ve values. So I thought about make a dc offset to overcome this problem. But the question now is that i want to make Variable offset. I mean for example if signal from -2 to 3 so offset is +2, and if signal is from -1: 2 so the offset should be +1. So how can i make this Variable offset?

2- Signals may be more than 5 v in range. For example signal from 0:10 v. I thought about a cct to multiply the signal by 0.5. But remains the same problem, I want a Variable multiplier. How i can define when to multiply by 0.5 or 0.2 or 0.1 or 1?

Note: I am using pic16f877a and its internal adc.

I would be grateful if you have other comments or ideas of design about my project.

Thanks

what port u r using? RS32 USB or LPT?

need ur code for pic16.

what port u r using? RS32 USB or LPT:?: and also i need ur code for pic16.

this one i used and worked for me.

Attachments

• Scope.rar
    339.1 KB · Views: 60

I would suggest you leave the zero offset at 2.5V to get maximum ADC range and use switched amplifiers or attenuators to scale the signal as required. I do not understand why you want to change the offset to measure a wider input range as it does not improve accuracy.

Commercial systems work by trying to maintain the reading within range by "auto ranging", basically, if the reading is below a threshold, the amplifier gain is increased and if the reading is above a certain threshold the gain is reduced. If you do this to maintain a measurement in the region 0f 80% - 90% of full scale it should work well and still be bipolar.

Brian.

you can use PWM output from the microcontroller to create variable offset, just you will need to connect a smoothing capacitor on the PWM output to get a smooth pure DC signal, the calculation of the offset value will be proportional to the duty cycle value which you can calculate.

let me know when it works with you

Status
Not open for further replies.