Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Path Startpoint is clock pin? Why/

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckle189

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am newbie to digital design.
I am working on a ASIC design and I am analyzing some top critical paths and I am used to seeing IO pin to Reg paths or Reg to Reg or Reg to IO paths.
This design has a path that says Startpoint is Clock pin and goes to a D pin of a register.
If I look at the path details, I find Hold buffers inserted.
Why would a path have clock pin as startpoint? Any reason for such path to be in topmost critical paths? Is it false? seems the capture flop is clocked by same clock. I am confused. Sorry...

-huckle189

you need to understand why the data path is driven by the clock.

COZ the cell delay of flop also needs to be accounted for as the data has to pass from D pin..and this transition is linked with the CLK to D arc.

I am not sure I understand. Why does clock coming into the block, come as data (because it goes to D pin and CLK pin of same flop)? Any examples of when it would be needed?

There are two possibilities. Either the logic was made in a way that a clock is captured by a flop, or you interpret the timing report wrong.

Post the timing report.

Please go through how timing path is reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back