Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Patch antenna radiation pattern problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananth

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
patch antenna radiation pattern

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to design a patch antenna with an air dielectric for a bandwidth of 500 MHz in the 3.5 GHz range. The antenna resonates at 3.8 GHz but its not matched yet.

The radiation patterns are attached with this email. As you can see, there is a pronounced tilt in the elevation pattern of the antenna in one direction that I'm not able to fathom.
I've had the same problem with a wideband square patch antenna as well. What I don't understand is the non symmetry of the pattern when the structure is totally symmetrical.

As you can see in the attachment, its a circular patch antenna with a parasitic element on top. The parasitic element serves the purpose of increasing the bandwidth. I've tried removing the parasitic element but the antenna pattern is the exact same even then. Its being fed by a transmission line (The antenna is not matched).

Anybody got any ideas as to why this is happening?
Would appreciate any insights.

Ananth.

if you can post your design alongwith patterns may be i can of help as i have done similar work before

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the offer to help but reducing the substrate height solved my problem of skewed patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back