Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PATA NANDrive with built in NAND Controler to I/F w/FPGA -- need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrigo

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Quick FYI, I did a search and did come up with some info, but the info is years old.

Anyway, I am currently looking at the newest technology trends pertaining to non-volitile memory since we are looking to designing a small form factor PCB that can record TDM data at >20Mbytes/sec, >8Gbytes, and has smallest package.

Thus far, PATA NANDrive memories seem to be the best when attempting to optimize performance, density and real estate. I am new to the PATA standard as this is normally interfaced to a Host via a cable using Ultra DMA data transfers. I am concerned there are better memories out there that I dont know about. Does anyone have any other recommendations or am I on point with this component? See link below.

All in all I am looking for confirmation that an FPGA is adequate for controlling this device I found below (since device has built in NAND controller) and that this is the best path to take.

The device I am looking at is
Greenliant > Solid State Storage > NANDrive > GLS85LP1008B
which has a built in NAND controller, so it seems using an FPGA to interface with this would not be an issue or too costly. Would you agree with this??
I want to use an FPGA to control this memory device which is an 8Gb NANDrive, PATA memory with built in MCU to translate host signals/commands/ and media wear leveling, etc.

To me it appears the internal NAND Controller opens the market up for this product to be used in any application requiring fast memory aquisition of a high density memory device with minimal real estate usage? Please correct any misunderstandings on my part.

I have read that SATA memory devices (serial vs parallel) will be taking over, but I assume (and hoping for confirmation on my assumption) this information was strictly referring to the PC based disk drive/cabling interface application since the serial uses less I/Os, but for other applications (recording streamed telemetry data), I would think there will always be a strong market for these PATA devices.

Sorry to be repetative, but again I am hoping to get confirmation that an FPGA is adequate for controlling this device (since device has built in NAND controller) and that this is the best path to take.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

The best form factor for your application is most likely a Compact Flash card. It's allows to use the same PATA/IDE interface at considerably reduced size. Fast SDcard also achieves the said speed range, at least when using the generic 4-Bit SD interface.

As you said >20 MBs, you're however suggested to check the actual guaranteed sustained write rate (in contrast to burst rates) for the selected device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back