Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Password in Linux ( Shadow File )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj 89

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am using Mandriva Linux. Whenever there is a need to change in password, we will be doing the command " passwd user " to change the password for the user.
Whenever we make a change in password, the /etc/shadow file will also be updated. Is there any possibilties, with the help of the /etc/shadow, can we be alble to know the password or decrypt the password of any user? If so, help me in this.

Changes are always possible.......

Linux doesn't contain passwords in an explicit form, in the shadow only checksum. And to read it it is possible only under root. Well or if to come "life-linux".

in the shadow only checksum.

I understand it.. For my understanding level, you are saying that, it is given in a encrypted way. If it is encrypted, are there any chances of decrypting it? Does it follow any algorithm..

Checksum itself is an algorithm, it gets some starting data and using an algorithm it gives something else as result.
Logically, if Linux stored passwords only in the shadow file using the checksum method then you should be able to retrieve the original password by inverting the algorithm - start from the result to get to origins. But I'm pretty sure Linux is not storing passwords just like this, there are for sure other files involved.

Reactions: Raj 89

Raj 89

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It is possible to try to pass to a mode of simple access (without encoding of passwords): / usr/sbin/pwunconv. In this to a case passwords shall etc/passwd is stored in/.
But I wouldn't risk on working system without need.

Status
Not open for further replies.