Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Passive filters VS Active filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

alucard

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I'm actually quite new to RF filters but I'm curious about why most of us (my collegues) design system using passive filters rather than active filters. Is there a guide on active filters applications? Or transceivers performance are better then using passive filters?

If i intend to use active filters what is the implications? such as noise figure in the system? affecting my SFDR?

Pls help enlighten me cos i'm surrounded by people who jus design and use passive filters >.<""

You're asking rather general without giving any specification for frequency, filter characteristic, intended dynamic. You may
want to implement an active filter for a specification of your choice and compare the results. Most likely you'll figure out why your
collegues prefer passive filters for similar applications.

I guess most applications need high-Q narrow band filter, so we prefer passive filter rather than active filter.

Passive filters can handle higher signal levels without producing distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.