Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parasitic capacitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadpony

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone explain the following statement:
'Reduction of parasitic capacitance reduces the electric power to drive signals over parasitic capacitance.'
According to my knowledge parasitic capacitance only affects speed of the circuit. It creates problem at high frequency then how is power given to the circuit gets affected?
Please do reply and sorry if it is a silly question.
Thanking in advance.

With AC voltage, sending it over cables with a parasitic capacitance, means that there is current flowing into this capacitance so this added current flows through the cables causing a loss due to the resistance of the cable , P = Icap C Icap X R. The generator has to deal with the charging and discharging current into the capacitance and the resulting power loss.
Frank

Can anyone explain the following statement:
'Reduction of parasitic capacitance reduces the electric power to drive signals over parasitic capacitance.'
According to my knowledge parasitic capacitance only affects speed of the circuit. It creates problem at high frequency then how is power given to the circuit gets affected?
Please do reply and sorry if it is a silly question.
Thanking in advance.
Electric power driven in the sense ,power consumed by the load resistor (usually termed as Real power) in the perspective of load, only real power is useful,but in actual net power given by the circuit(with source) is sum of real power and the power consumed&stored by reactive element(i,e capacitor sand inductors)this is the reason why this reactive power is represented as imaginary in theoretical representation.
If i have interpreted your question in wrong manner,please let me know it elaborately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back