Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parasitic capacitance of MIM capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guow06

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I can just find the bottom parasitic capacitance value in design_manual. What's that typically for the top plate?
I am designing a SAR ADC, I am wondering whether the parasitic capacitance or the mismatch is more important.

Last edited:

I can just find the bottom parasitic capacitance value in design_manual. What's that typically for the top plate?
I am designing a SAR ADC, I am wondering whether the parasitic capacitance or the mismatch is more important.

Mismatch between neighboring capacitors can be caused by:

1. (uncontrolled) random variations cased by microscopic process effects - this is non-systematic mismatch

2. by layout - i.e. by difference in parasitic capacitances - which is systematic mismatch.

Which one of these components is larger depends on several factors - for example, on layout style, on capacitor size (the larger the capacitor, the smaller the random mismatch - it usually scales as 1/sqrt(A), where A is the device area), etc.

To minimize random mismatch, (intended) capacitor size should be made larger.
Large capacitors usually also help minimize the impact of parasitics.
(the downside of large capacitors is large chip area (cost), large dynamic power consumption (CV2f), etc.).

Systematic mismatch, caused by parasitics (due to layout differences), can be characterized using high-precision parasitic extraction tools (field solvers).

You can find discussions in this thread relevant:

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/159589/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back