Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parameters required for designing Butterworth low pass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shivani Tiwari

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to design a butterworth filter for PPG signal. To calculate the order of the filter I need to know 4 values namely.
  1. Passband frequency
  2. Stopband frequency
  3. Passband ripples
  4. Stopband attenuation.
I have the values of passband freq and stop band freq. How can I determine the values of passband ripple and stopband attenuation??

A butterworth filter has a monotonous frequency response, no passband ripple at all.

It's usually chosen directly according to it's stopband slope, e.g. 2nd order has 12 dB/octave or 3rd order 18 dB/otacve.

A butterworth filter has a monotonous frequency response, no passband ripple at all.

It's usually chosen directly according to it's stopband slope, e.g. 2nd order has 12 dB/octave or 3rd order 18 dB/otacve.
What is chosen directly? Stopband attenuation? And actually I wanted to design this filter using matlab.. N there in order to calculate the order of filter...all 4 mentioned parameters were asked.

The parameters used to design a butterworth low-pass in Matlab are order and cut-off frequency. See Matlab help for butter() function.

[Moved]How do I design a Butterworth bandpass filter for PPG signal.

I want to design a Butterworth bandpass filter using MATLAB for Photolysthemograph signal. I know the bandpass freq that is .5-6 hz.. Can I design the filter using just passband freq (if yes, please tell me the steps) or do I need some other parameters as well.?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a specific way of choosing order of the filter or is it chosen randomly...n thanks for the help.

The 12:1 ratio of cutoff frequencies strongly suggests to design the filter as high-pass/lowpass combination. Still same topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back