Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parameters of a gm-C integrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

exp

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am currently thinking about how to design a gm-C integrator and what my design tradeoffs are.

First of all, suppose infinite output resistance, then the integrator is ideal and I get

\[H(s) = -\frac{G_m}{C s}\]

But how I choose the integrator time constant Gm/C ? It's just a scalar but I guess it can't be arbitrary? Do I understand correctly that the choice is related to saturation? Suppose that I want to implement a finite integration:

\[
v_o = \int_0^{T_w} x(t) \, dt
\]

and suppose that both input x(t) and output v_o are limited to VDD volts. Then I could derive:

\[
V_{DD} > \frac{g}{C} T_w V_{DD} \Rightarrow \frac{g}{C} < T_w
\]

and I would have at least a restriction on the ratio. Does this make sense?

Suppose next that output resistance ro is not infinite, then is results in a leaky integrator and the transfer function becomes:

\[H(s) = -\frac{r_o G_m}{1 + s r_o C}\]

After the pole at 1/roC, the system behaves as an ideal integrator.
Since I integrate over a finite period Tw, is it valid to say that the lowest integrateable frequency is 1/Tw and hence 1/roC << 2π/Tw ? So given C, this defines the minimum output resistance I can have.

Finally, using a simple 1-stage Gm-cell, there is just the one dominant pole at 1/roC but I will also have finite transit frequency, i.e., gm is not constant over frequency. Is it reasonable to say that I pick the transistor in a way that the transit frequency fT is just 3-5x higher than the highest possible frequency I intent to integrate?

Furthermore, noise and distortion will be an issue but for a first-cut simulation I just want to understand how to pick gm, C and R (ro).

EDIT: is the integrator only "useable" for integration up to the unity gain frequency gm/C ? If no, then I am again confused what I need gm/C for and why I can't set it arbitrarily. If yes, the ratio between these two is fixed by the intrinsic gain gm*ro which is not a lot in current technologies.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.