Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel RC filter on a comparator output then into a CMOS logic gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasteem1

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm analyzing a circuit with a comparator that has a parallel RC filter on its output then into a cmos logic gate. I understand the point of the Parallel RC filter from a current-source perspective, but I'm not sure I do in this case. Can anyone enlighten me?

Re: parallel RC filter

And what is the purpose of this filter?

I know that an RC parallel connection can act as a lowpass.
But my question was : For which PURPOSE ?
Why is a lowpass needed? Which part of the spectrum has to be attenuated?

LvW said:
I know that an RC parallel connection can act as a lowpass.
But my question was : For which PURPOSE ?
Why is a lowpass needed? Which part of the spectrum has to be attenuated?

Sorry. Above 3Mhz.

Is it correct that this RC combination is connected directly at the comparator output (voltage source with low output impedance)?

LvW said:
Is it correct that this RC combination is connected directly at the comparator output (voltage source with low output impedance)?

Yes.

In this case, if the active device works as a voltage source, the RC parallel combination acts as a load - without any influence on frequency behaviour.
Either the circuit is not correct or the ouput impedance must not be neglected (which means: it is no voltage source).

Just so I'm not misrepresenting the circuit an image is attached.

As the opamp has no negative feedback, I think its real output resistance Rout has to be taken into account. Together with the RC parallel load this forms a classical rc low pass - however, the corner frequency depends on Rout, which is not a fixed parameter. But perhaps, accuracy is not a main issue?

I believe I see what you are saying. Considering Rout it really isn't a parallel RC filter? How much, in general, should I expect Rout to vary? And no accuracy isn't all that important.

Details about Rout (value, tolerances) are to be found ion the data sheet.

What - according to your terminology - is a parallel RC filter?
In our case - it's just a series Rout and a shunt R||C. That's all.

parallel RC filter

There's nothing to analyse except the transient behaviour of the OP/comparator with RC load. It mainly depends on the output switching speed and transistor characteristic. It's a pulse circuit rather than a "filter".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back