Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel port weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

izua

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm playing with PICs these days, and I've made a little asm program that delivers a memory location bit by bit, via two pins - signal and clock.

I wanted to read this from the parallel port (I'm not sure how to use serial) but it behaves very weird. The clock is really slow (so i can see it with leds, about 800 ms).

First, I noticed that the floating pins are always logic 1. This is a problem. I made a simple construction, with a normally open pushbutton connected to V+ and the collector of a NPN transistor, and the emitter connected, as follows:
- port input
- resistor
- ground

I'm not sure what I did wrong. However, I came with a workaround (which is pretty evil). Since the pin is always floating on 1, i can short it to ground via the transistor, and it will be 0. This approach works, but I don't like the fact that the pin is actually floating.

Here's the picture.
Any ideas?

**broken link removed**

Might it be because I have shorted the transistor because of the absence of a resistor on the base (but the pic has a limit, and in the other mode, it always works) ? The resistor I used is 1K.

If you can, suggest other values, too.
izua

Use only pull-up or pull-down resistors (about 10k).

Ain't that a pulldown configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back