Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel port frustrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvanto

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am finding it very difficult to program my par. port in C++ (Dev-Cpp).

I have found a few articles and 'kernels packages' addressing the security issues in Win-XP but none of which tell you exactly what to install where and then how to access the par. port using C++. I came across Porttalk (www.beyondlogic.org) which goes on for ages about all sorts of technicalities about the processor - is it really that complicated? :cry:

Apologies for being such a monkey but if anyone knows of a good tutorial / site which shows a complete newbie how to program the par. port in C++ from start (ie. what to install where, .sys and things if necessary i dont know...) to finish (examples on how to access the port using C++) that would be AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC :D

many thanks for any help,
gvanto

thx bigfreddy but a few problems:

a) I cant get the help file (.chm) to work :?: and therefore cannot see how I can use this software...

b) It seems that its made for workign with MSVC++, Borland and Delphi...any idea whehter it will work with Dev-Cpp (from www.Bloodshed.net)?

c) Its only a trial version - not necessarily a problem but for stingy students like me $65 is a bit to fork out for somehting you'd thought is hardly worth paying for (programming your own little PC's par. port :))

many thanks,
gvanto

Have you tried the example on the last page of porttalk.pdf? It calls some included functions that do all the dirty work for you.

Here's another way. The PortTalk package includes a small utility called AllowIO. It gives any application direct I/O port access to whichever ports you specified on the AllowIO command line.

More parallel port tools and tips available here:
**broken link removed**

Yes but before I can try the porttalk example on the final page of the .pdf I will have to install something somewhere it aint just gonna work out of nowhere...a step-by-step procedure on how to install and use the thing for use with VB, MSVC *AND* Dev-Cpp would have been nice (all tut's seem to stop at MSVC or Borland).

sorry if im being dumb, just finding it a nightmare to get something this simple to work (perhaps its not as simple as i thought lol)

i have looked on www.logix4u.net which seems to be a good site and they have something called Inpout32.dll for WIN NT/2000/XP.

I am not familiar with .dll's so much and once again, no instructions accompany this package on how to install for use with Dev-Cpp. also, all example codes are writtne for borland / msvc...some examples for Dv-cpp would be awesome...

If you know please offer advice!

best regards,
gvanto

The PortTalk example installs the driver for you. Notice #include <pt_ioctl.c>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back