Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel plate waveguide in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanketpatel2020

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
Greetings!

I have doubts in simulating parallel plate waveguide in HFSS.

1. Two sidewalls of the parallel plates are assigned PEC boundaries. Do I have to assign PMC boundaries to remaining two faces (which are not actually sidewalls, as parallel plates have only two side walls, which are already assigned as PEC)?

2. Should it be a "Driven Modal" or "Driven Terminal" (in context of HFSS)?

3. Which Excitation: Waveport or lumped port or voltage port?

However at later stage, my aim is to simulate three parallel plates, where wave is applied to middle plate and the outside two plates are grounded.

Please guide me in this regard.

Welcome sanketpatel2020,

1. Two sidewalls of the parallel plates are assigned PEC boundaries. Do I have to assign PMC boundaries to remaining two faces (which are not actually sidewalls, as parallel plates have only two side walls, which are already assigned as PEC)?

Yes, you want PMCs. PECs would make a solid metal waveguide which does not support a TEM mode.

2. Should it be a "Driven Modal" or "Driven Terminal" (in context of HFSS)?

These are the same for a single mode system. Driven modal excites various modes, whereas driven terminal excites various conductors. If you're new to HFSS, I would start with driven modal.

3. Which Excitation: Waveport or lumped port or voltage port?
Again, all of these will work. However, waveport is the easiest to use, so I would start there.

However at later stage, my aim is to simulate three parallel plates, where wave is applied to middle plate and the outside two plates are grounded.

Then you have a multimode system. The choice is your to make -- whatever is most convenient for you. If you are planning on applying an MTL analysis, then driven terminal may be the best approach. If you're just looking for quick scattering parameters of the two regions, I'd stick with driven modal and make sure that there are two waveports -- one for each region.

Good Luck!

Reactions: ferdem

ferdem

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you PlanarMetamaterials!

I could resolve the problems I was facing and could model the waveguide agreeing with your suggestions!

Thanks once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back