Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

P*ower P*C*B Connecting GroundPlanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis P.

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi there!

i know this has been asked before, but i couldn't find any post relating to that. i want to connect a AGND and a DGND Ground plane on a single Point with a pad in which the PE from the Power Supply also ends.
Any recommendations? The problem is the nets will be combined if it is connected in the Schematic or results in an error if done in the PCB.

regards
Elvis P.

connecting planes

One way to solve this issue would be to place a Ferrite bead in your design/schematic to connect the dgnd and agnd.

edaedaeda

You can also connect the two GND using a 2D line. When you generate the CAM file you must include lines on the corresponding Gerber file. The electrical connection between the two GND will be done only on the Gerber, not on the *.pcb file.

I have sometimes used only one net name for both analog and digital grounds, and then made a partial ground plane cutout isolating the analog part from the digital, only leaving a narrow area connected.

For example onboard switchmode converters, which essentially are on the digital ground anyway, but need to be somewhat isolated for preventing return currents to spead all over, it works very well.

Route both nets seperately and add a line to join the 2 nets.
Yes the line will show up as an error.
This way the nets are daisy chained the way you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back