Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Output signal of a NPN limit switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungle

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am using this limit switch (LS): D-F9N (NPN - sink) output. I used an oscilloscope to monitor its output. The observed output is under two cases as follows:
1. Zero volt DC if the LED of the LS on.
2. A noising signal around zero if the LED off.
Is it a normal working condition for LSs? (The LS is powered at 24VDC)
Please give me some suggestions.
Thank you.

Hi,

I don't know what a D-F9N switch is....

But any low side switch can (as it name says) only switch to GND (=LOW).
If not switched LOW, then it is open = high impedance, this causes a floating node.

The voltage of a floating node is undefined. It may be DC of any value, AC of any value or any random waveform.

It's like a piece of wire in your hand.

A voltmeter is no useful device to "measure" the high impedance state. An ohm-meter is more useful.

Klaus

Reactions: jungle

jungle

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A NPN switch has no useful output signal without the pull-up resistor of the connected load, e.g. PLC "NPN" input.

Reactions: jungle

jungle

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the useful reply!

One more question, should I connect to a pullup- resistor (If yes, how can I calculate resistor value?) or just directly connect is okay?

Thanks for the useful reply!

One more question, should I connect to a pullup- resistor (If yes, how can I calculate resistor value?) or just directly connect is okay?

A direct connection to 24V would burn out the transistor switch.

Normal use is 10mA or 2.2k to 2.4k in series to 24V if desired. with < 0.8V when the NPN conducts.

1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back