Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Outage definition based on rate and outage definition based on outage.. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabyaec0411

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I am working on relay selection problem in outage restricted network.

When I read papers, outage in relayed network is defined in two ways,

(a) some papers say outage probability as the probability that SNR is below a threshold level,

(b) other papers say probability that transmission rate is greater than end-to-end support rate.

Does the definition of outage probability in (a) is same as the (b) with relationship [2][/NR]-1 as the SNR threshold, or if outage probability definition of (a) has its own significance. Lets say if I am not interested in end-to-end data rate, and consider SNR at the destination to be higher than a threshold value for successful reception of the signal, the outage probability definition according to (a) can be used. Please let me know if I am right or not.

Thanks.

Hi. I am working on relay selection problem in outage restricted network.

When I read papers, outage in relayed network is defined in two ways,

(a) some papers say outage probability as the probability that SNR is below a threshold level,

(b) other papers say probability that transmission rate is greater than end-to-end support rate.

Does the definition of outage probability in (a) is same as the (b) with relationship [2][/NR]-1 as the SNR threshold, or if outage probability definition of (a) has its own significance. Lets say if I am not interested in end-to-end data rate, and consider SNR at the destination to be higher than a threshold value for successful reception of the signal, the outage probability definition according to (a) can be used. Please let me know if I am right or not.

Thanks.

They are both the same. For each SNR y there is a channel capacity. For the case of half-duplex relaying (single relay) it is (1/2)*log2(1+y). Now if the transmission rate R is greater than the channel capacity, i.e. R > (1/2)*log2(1+y), the system will be in outage. Solving the previous inequality with regard to y gives you that the system is in outage if

\[\gamma< 2^{2R}-1=\gamma_{th}\]

Status
Not open for further replies.