Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
elektor electronics oscilloscope

echo47 said:
bittware, those bandwidth settings are for high frequency limiting. They are independent of AC or DC coupling mode.

According to the manual:

Lower frequency limit, AC coupled, typical:
7 Hz for 1 Mohm, reduced by a factor of ten when using a 10x passive probe. 140 kHz for 50 ohm.
Hello echo47,
I am very appreciate your great hint!
Could you explain what is mean of " reduced by a factor of ten when using a 10x passive probe"? And why?
Why AC coupling bandwidth is so high for 50 ohm probe?

oscilloscope 1507-3

bittware, when you press the AC Coupling button, the oscilloscope simply connects a capacitor (about 22nF) in series with the input connector. That creates an RC high-pass filter. The higher the input resistance, the lower the filter frequency. 7 Hz for x1 probe (1 megohm), 0.7 Hz for x10 probe (10 megohm), and 140 kHz for 50 ohm. Try it with your signal generator!

lt374 used

I bought three days ago a new TDS1002 oscilloscope, I was disappointed when I set it to the 2mV/Div and the inputs grounded, because the noise is 1.4mV. If I change the probe set to 10 X the noise is 14mV into 20mV/div.

wittig technologies scopes price

Do you mean 1.4mV RMS or peak, or peak-to-peak, or ?
If you press the bandwidth limiter, does the noise decrease?

benchscope gos-620

crono376 said:
I bought three days ago a new TDS1002 oscilloscope, I was disappointed when I set it to the 2mV/Div and the inputs grounded, because the noise is 1.4mV. If I change the probe set to 10 X the noise is 14mV into 20mV/div.

See my post second down from the top in this topic. Unfortunately, when bean counters take over a company the sell manure for an equal weight of gold. I suggest that no one buy a Tektronix product until they fix these problems.

how do i use the good will gos-310 oscilliscope

Echo47 the values posted above are peak to peak.
Flatulent what can I do???? :(

I'm still testing it, now I found that is very sensible to the external noise (maybe low CMRR), I can't trust in the noise that I'm watching....

haaaaa I can't believe it.
In my country this kind of instruments are very expensive, the TDS is the cheapest DSO (god real time samples), the other possibility in this segment in my contry is the instek GDS-820/840 but this one have poor 100MS real sample rate.

Well it’s a pity

Best regards.

tektronix tds 210 lcd color display

The work around on repetitive waveforms is to use the math function and average several sweeps. This hides glitches if you are fault finding a circuit that does not work some of the time. This is why I kept my old 20 year old analog Tektronix oscilloscope when I bought a new DSO one.

wittig w2000+price

How much money do you want to pay for it???

tek 314 10ms 5ms

Just bought 2 used scopes cheap (both a little old technology) , and i will first get them in a month :-(

1: TDS320 (100Mhz digital)

2: IWATSU DS-8608 (100Mhz digital and analog)

I allready have a Hameg HM-504 (50 Mhz analog)

Anyone knows the IWATSU ???

I read that the TDS320 have a verry good trigger , but it has a noisy fan :)

I dont need 3 scopes so i have to sell one or two of them (i will probably sell the Hameg) but dont know if the TEK is good enough.

The IWATSU is 100Mhz analog and 100Mhz Digital , but i dont know if it is as good as the TEK on the digital side.

I know i will have to try them out , but is there any hints on witch one i should keep ???

TIA

Bingo

tds320

Is there some document to read about the problem of noise in the tektronix osciloscope?. Especial interest in the tektronix tds1002.

Thank you

wittig technologies w2000

I think you have to read their confidential internal marketing memos. :(

Similar noise in many of their scopes, including my TDS3054B. More comments:

oscilloscope 610-3

Hi all

I have seen all discusion here about choosing dso and would be pleased if can get some oppinion about new Hameg HM1508 which a am intended to buy.
Hameg 1508

http://www.hameg.com/1.39.0.html

benchscope 22-300

bittware said:
flatulent said:
The Tektronix scopes you list have a residual noise problem that is in the digital section. It will be half a major division at the low signal levels and is reduced to one pixel at the high signal levels. Tektronix knows about this but will not change it as long as the scopes sell. Otherwise I like the 3054 very much and would not exchange it for some other brand.

The @gilent scopes do not have this noise problems. They have fewer features and are slightly less intuitive to operate.

A google search will give you discount dealers. The discount is usually about 10%.
I own a 3054 either. I found its limitation when I set 24V voltage offset, meanwhile I intended to zoom in voltage ripple in order to find out its detail state. That is to say if you have a relative large DC offset, you can't magnify its AC detail in large display scale. Can anyone could suggest other substitute oscilloscope?
just try ac couple then you can finish your job easy!

Added after 3 minutes:

alex840 said:
from my point of view (mainly analog engineering):
1. it is very useful to have 4 channels.
2. Tek - piece of junk. yeah, ok, it's a good scope to observe what's happening with your clock signal over time, but 15bytes(or even less) of memory without possibility to extend it... For this money(TDS2024) you can buy only some korean scopes. TDS3000 - very strange series. Good set of features and, again, limited memory. Price is less than others with the same bandwidth, but only due to limited memory, i think. Good scopes (i mean good usability) for a simple work. unusable to find one glitch over 10ms if you don't know how the glitch looks like.
3. HP/@gilent - good. Long memory, good syncro, very useful. 54645 - you will be able to work with full speed at 5ms/div. Maybe math is limited and zoom is not comfortable - you can't see original and zoomed signal simultaneously.
4. LeCroy - I don't know why but I like these scopes. ;-) I started with 9304A, then LC334A(you can see 8 traces!), LT224, LT374... The last I've seen - 6050. this one is the best. Excellent big screen, good syncro, long memory, 8 traces on the screen, very useful math.... Disadvantages - it will take time until you get used to it. Old models have quite short memories. New ones - look more like PC than as an osci - w2k, desktop, antiviruses...
If you want to find glitch, I think peak detect mode in acquire menu!

tektronix tds 2002b labo ppt

Milan said:
Hi all

I have seen all discusion here about choosing dso and would be pleased if can get some oppinion about new Hameg HM1508 which a am intended to buy.
Hameg 1508

http://www.hameg.com/1.39.0.html

Would be interested to know as well..and also for the HM1008 model...
though the have have the sample frequency of the TDS1/2K series...

But at least I wouldn't have to buy a RS232 interface....

tds2024 50 ohm probe

Bingo600 said:
Just bought 2 used scopes cheap (both a little old technology) , and i will first get them in a month :-(

1: TDS320 (100Mhz digital)

2: IWATSU DS-8608 (100Mhz digital and analog)

I allready have a Hameg HM-504 (50 Mhz analog)

Anyone knows the IWATSU ???

I read that the TDS320 have a verry good trigger , but it has a noisy fan :)

I dont need 3 scopes so i have to sell one or two of them (i will probably sell the Hameg) but dont know if the TEK is good enough.

The IWATSU is 100Mhz analog and 100Mhz Digital , but i dont know if it is as good as the TEK on the digital side.

I know i will have to try them out , but is there any hints on witch one i should keep ???

TIA
Hello
I have just got my tds 320 a monthn ago-unfortunately withouth a working wavestar(the new doesnt support 3xx series)
It is a very good digitizer,with a very low noise 0.2mv rms at 2mv/DIV-accurate selfcalibrating.It is not the fan itself which is noisy!do believe it comes from the high speed air forced through too small holes! can be reduced drastic when inserting some soft clothing(or similar) in between.
Ofcourse it will not outperform the new pricey ones,but at a price of 250us $ its great for me.Have compared it with tektronix 7d20 -HP 54600B and fluke 105.
Like the TDS 320 best
Hardy
Bingo

tds210 noisy display problem

Can somebody who owns it elaborate on Tektronix TDS2024 scope ?

What is that noise problem all about ?

Is that the only problem with TDS series scope or if there is more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back