Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope probe Ground clip connect to negative supply causes a short

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisP

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The Oscilloscopes ground clip causes a short circuit when you attach the oscilloscopes probe ground clip to negative supply. The circuit board ground is sometimes tried to the safety earth but other times the circuit boards ground is floating isolated from earth. If I attach my oscilloscope probe ground clip to a floating circuit board ground reference it will use a short circuit. High Voltage Opto-Couplers cause this issue too when I attach my oscilloscopes probe ground clip on the floating ground reference, it will cause a short circuit because the oscilloscopes probe ground clip is tied to the safety earth. When is it ok to use the oscilloscopes ground clip and when is it not ok to use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back