Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscilloscope for power electronics (recommendation please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambhav_1

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to buy a oscilloscope and i need it for power electronics use only. I used to make circuits for home appliances and controllers for fans. Kindly suggest me an oscilloscope with minimum possible budget.

Thanks and Regards

It sounds as though you want an oscilloscope which tolerates house voltage, and which draws a few 50/60 Hz waveforms per sweep. You don't necessarily need amplification, only to divide down signal sources which are hundreds of volts.

For minimum cost it's easy to like the led matrix type. Many home-brew projects can be found. Youtube has many videos demonstrating operation. The idea is that 3914 IC's (dot/bar display driver)respond to voltage (vertical). 4017 IC's (decade counter) sweep horizontally. An easy size is 9x9 led's. For better resolution multiple modules can be assembled.

There are also Arduino style oscilloscopes which look as though they're surprisingly good quality.

It's risky to choose an oscilloscope which is powered by house voltage, because careless hookup to an appliance can result in short circuit. This makes it wise to choose a scope powered by batteries, or transformer-based supply.

Hi,

Maybe a second hand scope is a good start.
You don't need the most modern or the most advanced one.
But look for good probes. Maybe a differential probe, maybe a current probe could be useful.

Klaus

DIY Diff probe -

What is your range of cost you will spend for a scope ? FFT in scope needed ? Bandwidth ?
Are you debugging communications interfaces like spi, i2c, CAN,....?

Regards, Dana.

DIY Diff probe -

What is your range of cost you will spend for a scope ? FFT in scope needed ? Bandwidth ?
Are you debugging communications interfaces like spi, i2c, CAN,....?

Regards, Dana.
my budget is around $300 and i will be using i2c so scope should support this too. Supporting upto few MHz And FFT is not needed as of now.

One of the best is a DS1054Z which is 50 Mhz but can be hacked to
100 Mhz. Rigol has had huge success with this scope. Its $ 349, some
folks were offering some discount from eevblog coupon, I don't know if
this is still true. Its currently ~ $349, 4 channel. I collect scopes, but use
this 90% of the time now.

Check with these guys to see if they still offer eevblog discount -

Hacked has FFT, serial buss decoding, lots of math and trigger capability.
Great scope for the money.

Check eevblog for hack, to make sure its still working. General conclusion
is Rigol is aware of hack, has made no moves to eliminate it. But check.

Regards, Dana.

The low-end Rigol scopes like the DS1054Z are basically unbeatable for entry level stuff. USB and DIY scopes sound neat but in reality the user interface makes them a PITA to use.

google "Riglol" for massive damage

I am looking for an oscilloscope with 50 mhz and dual channel,
Please guide me from the below link which should be most economical.
Brand should be uni-t as I am using it before also
Thanks in advance.
uni-t oscilloscope

I am looking for an oscilloscope with 50 mhz and dual channel,
Please guide me from the below link which should be most economical.
Brand should be uni-t as I am using it before also
Thanks in advance.
uni-t oscilloscope

Hi,

What's the idea behind your post?

You intrude a foreign and old thread.
You know the brand, so why don't you visit the manufacturer's internet site and use the selection guide?

Why do you refer to a seller?
* Just as hidden advertise?
* Or you want us to do the shop search for the "cheapest 50MHz dual channel uni-t scope"? Why don't you do it on your own? We don't know what other requirements you have .. nor how much money you can afford

What reply/information do you expect?

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.