Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

orcad layout tracks and pads issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dileepbalan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am printing (making pdf file) the layout using GerbTool. But, while enlarging, i could see that tracks having a while line, and drill hole is not circle.

pls look at the attachments

how to resolve this issue

regards
dileep

Just issue of print quality of pdfcreator plot. please change resolation or paper size

Mr.Back said:
Just issue of print quality of pdfcreator plot. please change resolation or paper size

Thanks a lot, Back. It was 600dpi by default in settings. I changed to 4000dpi. I got very good improvement.

But, still I could see a very thin while line if I enlarge upto 6400%. Also, mount hole, not a perfect circle.

I'm using CuteWriter.exe for converting to PDF. could you please suggest a better one?

Warm Regards
Dileep

If you want to check a layout, you should look at the Gerber files with something like GCprevue, not from a pdf.

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
If you want to check a layout, you should look at the Gerber files with something like GCprevue, not from a pdf.

Keith.

Thanks Keith.

My idea is to take full layout design to PDF so that, I can give this pdf file to pcb manufacturer.

But still I coudn't understand, why the circle is not drawn perfectly?
or am I doing something wrong unknowingly?

or do u have any other method to print layout, including board outline (Global Layer) + mount holes + Text (Added a text at bottom)

Basically, my design is single sided PCB.

please do share your valuable opinions

warm regards
Dileep

Dileep,

I don't know of any PCB manufacturers who use pdf files for making the PCBs. The standard is Gerber. pdf is useful so you can send them to anyone for checking etc. but not manufacture.

I think pdfs just aren't design to do perfect circles - Gerbers are. If I print a pdf of a layout I don't get a perfect circle - it has uneven edges. Not enough to affect manufacturing, but there none the less. If I do the same with a Gerber and then view the file in Gcprevue then the circuit is perfect.

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
Dileep,

I don't know of any PCB manufacturers who use pdf files for making the PCBs. The standard is Gerber. pdf is useful so you can send them to anyone for checking etc. but not manufacture.

I think pdfs just aren't design to do perfect circles - Gerbers are. If I print a pdf of a layout I don't get a perfect circle - it has uneven edges. Not enough to affect manufacturing, but there none the less. If I do the same with a Gerber and then view the file in Gcprevue then the circuit is perfect.

Keith.

Thanks Keith.

I am doing single sided pcb for my work. Local small scale manufactures, take the PDF and print to buttor paper (kind of semi transparent paper). They do screen printing technology to transfer the layout to copper clad.

Let me try gc prevue and will update...

Regards,
Dileep

dileepbalan said:
I am doing single sided pcb for my work. Local small scale manufactures, take the PDF and print to buttor paper (kind of semi transparent paper). They do screen printing technology to transfer the layout to copper clad.

In that case I wouldn't expect the small errors to be noticeable - they will be smaller than the minimum feature size you can etch.

Keith.

Hali dileepbalan,
Maybe, that your local PCB manufacturer do accepet your PDFs, but if you have a CAD & it has/can generate GBR output, pls send it to the manufacturer_usually its not only better qualty on endproduct, but cheaper too! :)
Much PCB vendors accept the CAD data direct (niot as Gerber!) & it is cheaper too as GBR input, than they has some less to work on that; in all you have every times to ask your selected manufacturer; what can be better!

Especially ORCAD is a SW, that all producer knows + works with & over 20 years!! :)

Anyway; you can be absolutly sure; a pdf as datainput fro PCB production is worst as possible=WRONG/FALSH!
Sorry...
K

karesz said:
Hali dileepbalan,
Maybe, that your local PCB manufacturer do accepet your PDFs, but if you have a CAD & it has/can generate GBR output, pls send it to the manufacturer_usually its not only better qualty on endproduct, but cheaper too! :)
Much PCB vendors accept the CAD data direct (niot as Gerber!) & it is cheaper too as GBR input, than they has some less to work on that; in all you have every times to ask your selected manufacturer; what can be better!

Especially ORCAD is a SW, that all producer knows + works with & over 20 years!! :)

Anyway; you can be absolutly sure; a pdf as datainput fro PCB production is worst as possible=WRONG/FALSH!
Sorry...
K

Thank you all for the reply,

I have attached my design in PCB and a photograph. Please do have a look & share your comments

I downloaded the GC-Prevue 18.1.2, but its not supporting the .GTD files!

Regards,
Dileep

Hi,
I can only guess, that the copper uncontinuities/nonuniformities are from not enough black/thight "film"_ or even not properly cleaned from oxides & (handling)fat?
Otherwise is optically/as design: a good job! :) (signal integrity is another subject)
K.

keith1200rs said:
What is a .GTD file?

Keith.

Hi Keith,

When I run "Post Processing", I used to get many files + .GTD. I use GerbTool (GerbTool, an embedded tool in orcad) to open this file.

Before Printing as PDF file, I select the bottom layer (contains my layout + mount hole) and Global layer (my pcb board outline + text msg) in the GerbTool.

Regards,
Dileep

It sounds like it is an Orcad format file. Gcprevue needs to Gerber and NC drill files - the same files you would normally send to a PCB manufacturer.

Keith

Unlike PDF files.

If your PCB manufacturer cannot use PDF file then find another manufacturer as they are not that good at it.

keith1200rs said:
It sounds like it is an Orcad format file. Gcprevue needs to Gerber and NC drill files - the same files you would normally send to a PCB manufacturer.

Keith

Can I have any alternate option to print the layout? Any plug-in / third party software for orcad helps in printing / converting to PDF file?

Regards,
Dileep

i want to know how to create gerber file from cadstar ofter routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back