Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Orcad 10 files wont open in orcad 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafayimran

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I have recently installed orcad v16.0. I had earlier created design files using orcad v10. However, when I attempt to open these files in orcad v16, the following error is returned, " Attempt to open design file not supported by this version of the database". Please help?

Orcad is no more Orcad and it must be Cadence now.

Exactly like you , I have designed schematics in Orcad 10 and recently moved to Cadence/Orcad 16.3. And I did not have a problem mentioned by you.
I had problems in opening schematics in Orcad 10 which was earlier designed in 16.3. That gave the error like what you mentioned.

Migrating from 10 to 16.3 did not have a problem for me.

Could it be possible that a file created in orcad10 and opened in orcad 16.4 was somehow modified and then when tried to open in orcad 16 would return this error. This is the only logical reason that comes to me. Is it possible?

- - - Updated - - -

Could it be possible that a file created in orcad10 and opened in orcad 16.4 was somehow modified and then when tried to open in orcad 16 would return this error. This is the only logical reason that comes to me. Is it possible?

Yes may be that is the reason otherwise we can open lower version files in higher version without any issues..

Not very sure about that also. I don't think so because there should not be a compatibility problem within 16 series itself.
Moreover if that is the case, even opening in 16.3 also should have given the error.

If it is not a confidential stuff, I can try opening your .DSN file in Orcad 16.3 and see whether there is any issue.

If you want to open files in still lower version than 16.4 open the files in 16.4 and use save as option and save it in lower version...

Thank you for your response cameo....it is confidential stuff so I cannot send it to you. I'll try reinstalling the software....maybe it missed a library file somewhere...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your response cameo....it is confidential stuff so I cannot send it to you. I'll try reinstalling the software....maybe it missed a library file somewhere...

- - - Updated - - -

I got the original file from orcad 10 and opened them in orcad 16 and they opened correctly. I guess my reasoning was correct. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back