Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optocoupler output too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexxar

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey, I'm trying to make a MIDI/joystick port cable, with this schematic > **broken link removed**

I can send MIDI events to my keyboard just fine, but I can't receive. I didn't have the optocoupler in the schematic, so I pulled an LTV4N35 off of an old pci modem to use instead. What do I need to do to get this working?

Did you change the original diagram?
Have you check de polarity for D1 diode and the pinout for LTV4N35 in the circuit ?

Did you verify current is flowing through the internal LED? Averaging 5-10 mA?

Does your device need the same value, or a different value resistor at the transistor collector? A higher value is worth a try. Just in case there's reduced efficiency of operation in the optocoupler.

You need to verify that pin 6 (or your device's corresponding output pin) is alternating between hi and low V level.

I see the schematic shows a pin (#7) connected to the base of the output transistor. It looks like a convenient place to apply a test signal to the base?

Does your device have any such pin? That would let you confirm operation in some way.

For instance, send positive supply V through a 3300 ohm resistor to the test pin. That should turn on the transistor sufficiently to pull the output low at pin 6 (or your optocoupler's corresponding output pin).

Is there a chance your pin 15 (on the DB9) needs to be pulled high instead of low, and vice-versa? In other words, to reverse the phase?

I didn't have the optocoupler in the schematic, so I pulled an LTV4N35 off of an old pci modem to use instead.
There is a thing called datasheet. You'll realize, that 4N35 is specified with CTR > 100%, which is quite reasonable for a standard opto coupler, the original type is however a darlington OC which a much higher CTR. Unfortunately the circuit requires a high CTR of e.g. > 300 %. You possibly can fix the problem by changing R1 to 680R - 1K, but it also depends on the circuit behind the 15-pin MIDI port.

Status
Not open for further replies.