Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optocoupler feedback in flyback converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinalmani

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
Most flyback controller ICs have a feed-back pin that needs to be connected to the output of an opto coupler. What is the mechanism behind this?
I mean what is required by the IC at the feedback pin? Some sort of voltage? current? I understand that it needs an optocoupler, but what is the optocoupler doing?
I have tried to find the working behind this but I can only find example circuits.

My real purpose is to use this IC NCP4371 which is a "quick charge 3.0" controller IC for flyback topology. But I need to use it in buck topology, not flyback. I cannot find any controller IC for quick charge 3.0 that is made for buck topology.
I want to tweak this IC for buck operation. An on board MCU will control the buck controller.

Please help...
Thanks

Attachments

• Capture112.PNG
    Capture112.PNG
    48.2 KB · Views: 112

Hi,

Function:
* when output voltage is high enoguh, then the optocoupler_LED becomes alight.
* optocoupler sensor detects the light
* and reduces or stops SMPS operation.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back