Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opto Switch Reversing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Englewood

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi folks,

Can you reverse a opto switch?,

So when the switch is broken it turns a light on and when the switch is unbroken it stays off?

:-s

An optosensor typically contains a phototransistor. These are always manufactured as N-devices because of the singular effect of photons hitting the doped silicon. You can then add components to perform electronic tasks.

By feeding a signal through a transistor, you invert signal polarity (turn a high into a low, and a low into a high). Or if you wish to use an IC then an inverter gate is adequate.

Here is one way to hook up an optocoupler. (I made one up from components because the simulator does not have an optocoupler in its library.)

Notice the transistor should be placed near 0V ground for greatest sensitivity. The resistors should be high enough ohm value so you don't get overmuch current going through the device. Yet the resistors should be low enough ohm value to allow proper operation.

optocoupler config.png

- - - Updated - - -

The simulation is incorrect because the transistor ought to conduct when the led is On. Then the output voltage should be pulled low.

Cheers Brad, ill give it a try :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ive tried but still no output

IMG_0224.JPG

I just cant to seem to get this to work :-(

Attachments

• board.png
    board.png
    534.4 KB · Views: 59
  • board_rotate.png
    board_rotate.png
    580.3 KB · Views: 63
Thanks I did realise this yesterday, I was shorting out across the board.

Now I have it setting across the board but still not joy.

I think I need to work out the correct resistors, I've used 3k and 330 ohms like someone said but when I go direct to the output of the resistor I get no current out

Last edited:

What exactly are you trying to do? With this opto the light is interrupted by an object in the slot cutting the light beam. It should be very easy to get going.

Below shows you some voltages you can expect in the two states.

Attachments

• opto_switch.png
    opto_switch.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 75

Cheers,

That's what I'm trying to do, just using it as a slotted switch

I have got a Opto switch, which I want to turn a motor off and on.

So when the switch is active the motor is on.
When the switch is deactive the motor is off.

I have this Opto switch
**broken link removed**

The switch keeps shorting out when I connect the output to my motor, one end of the motor is connected to ground and the other to the output of the switch.

Help :) needed.

The Ebay photo looks like an ordinary opto sensor. It probably contains a phototransistor. I doubt it is sufficiently robust to power a motor by itself.

I think it is meant to drive a second transistor. Do you have other transistors which are powerful enough to drive your motor, so that they will not burn up?

Post #11 has a schematic which could be adapted for your purposes. It has a 2N3904 transistor to drive a load, however that type is for light loads. You must drive the motor with a transistor which has the required ratings.

This was my thinking too as I was only getting 7.54ma from the output enough to power and LED but not enough to power the motor.

I tried a BC108 trans but that didn't work, I do have a much more powerful transistor to try.

I don't understand why it shorts out though.

I just put the output of the switch to one side of the motor and the other side of the motor to ground :-s

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.