Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opto feedback for smps

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

do you know what the pull-up resistor is for at the collector of the opto-transistor in the diagram on page 9 of the UCC38C43 datasheet?

UCC38C43 DATASHEET
https://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ucc38c43.pdf

would the circuit work without this resistor?

If you mean the resistor on the far left - unlabelled but next to R6 - then it is the load resistor. If you replaced it with a short then the opto wouldn't be able to pull down pin 1 of the IC. If you omitted it altogether then the transistor would have no load and the output on the collector would be zero all the time.

Keith.

would the circuit work without this resistor?
According to the datasheet, the comparator output would source 0.5 to 1 mA, so the pull-up isn't absolutely required.

According to the datasheet, the comparator output would source 0.5 to 1 mA, so the pull-up isn't absolutely required.

My mistake. I didn't read enough of the data sheet. I guess the resistor would only be required if you had a high opto collector current.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.