Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

optical question (what we observe is always upside down?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W_Heisenberg

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
OMG, I just found that our eyes, or more detailed, our lens, should obey the rule of imaging.

If so, what we observe is always upside down. I then googled this via internet, and it is true.

If so, I accept the physics explaination, yet, I could not admit deeply with my emotion. My rational sense tells me this is incredible.

Anyone could imagine such a world?

I was in Australia once and it was truly amazing!

I remember seeing an experiment a long time ago where someone wore goggles which inverted their view of the world. Within a few days their brain had adapted and they could function normally. I cannot remember if the world still looked upside-down to them.

Keith

sorry, not sure what you mean.

Sorry, but i couldn't resist beeing sarcastic. Everything in Australia is upside down, isn't it?

Just think of it as wiring the sensors (our eyes) correctly and you get the kind of result you want.

@keith1200rs Isn't it amazing how flexible the brain is!? Automatically rewiring the sensors in a few days.

A few years ago I read the book "Your Brain: The Missing Manual" and I was shocked for weeks by how fuzzy the brain is.
Just think of it, the world is managed by jelly lumps like this.

It's absolutely worth buying but if you search the net there seem to be many places where you can download the ebook.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok, now I get what you mean.

Buddy, you really like a seer or prophet. What you said is the truth, yet normal people could not understand it.

Thanks for your explaination by Australia compared North America!

In fact, now I understand it deeper.

The thing is that what we observe is upside down, but we all have brains. Thus, we could get the normal graphs outside.

Thanks, man!

Here is something more for you to worry about. The image from each eye is partially split at the optic chiasm and mapped to different sides of the optic cortex. See: Optic chiasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia So, the image our brains get is actually coded and processed for interpretation.

Another intriguing thing about our eyes is that injuries seeming to affect only one eye may affect the other as well. That explains some of the treatments that are used to prevent such sympathetic pathology. It also played an interesting historical role in the life of Braille:

Louis Braille - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sympathetic ophthalmia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John

This is called professional.

I do thank you, John!

Status
Not open for further replies.