Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Oppenheim 2.5] Causal LTI system: homogeneous-, impulse- and step-response

Status
Not open for further replies.

courteous

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1. The problem
A causal LTI system is described by the difference equation \[y[n] - 5y[n-1] + 6y[n-2] = 2x[n-1]\].

Determine the
(a) homogeneous (\[x[n]=0\] for all \[n\]),
(b) impulse,
(c) step
response of the system.

2. Relevant equations and definitions
2.1 Causal are systems for which the output \[y[n_0]\] depends only on the input samples \[x[n]\], for \[n \leq n_0\]

2.2 For the (a) part of the problem:
\[\sum_{k=0}^{N} a_k y_h[n-k] = 0 \text{ ................... (2.96)}\]
Equation \[(2.96)\] is called the homogeneous difference equation and \[y_h[n]\] the homogeneous solution. The sequence \[y_h[n]\] is in fact a member of a family of solutions of the form
\[y_h[n] = \sum_{m=1}^{N} A_m z_m^{n} \text{ ................... (2.97)}\]
where the coefficients \[A_m\] can be chosen to satisfy a set of auxiliary conditions on \[y[n]\].

3. The attempt at a solution
First of all, there is no additional information to be gained from knowing that the LTI system is also "causal", right? That is, being causal (\[y[n_0]\] only depends on \[x[n]\], \[n \leq n_0\]) is already in the given equation, correct?

(a) homogeneous response, y_h[n]
The official solution is given in the form of Eq. \[(2.97)\]: \[y_h[n] = A_1(2)^n + A_2(3)^n\]

I have no idea how one should arrive at this solution. Neither writing it out for particular \[n\]'s (and hoping to glimpse a pattern), nor writing the system in the general form of \[\sum_{k=0}^N a_k y[n-k] = \sum_{m=0}^M b_m x[n-m]\] and then finding the relevant coefficients (N=2: \[a_0=1, a_1=-5, a_2=6\]; M=1: \[b_0=0, b_1=2\]), gives way toward the solution.

(b) impulse response, h[n]
I do get the official solution (\[h[n] = 2(3^n - 2^n)u[n]\]), but I'm exploiting the Z-transform, which is introduced only after this chapter ... so there must be other way, without Z-transform:

\[H(z) = \frac{Y(z)}{X(z)} = \frac{2z^{-1}}{1 - 5z^{-1} + 6z^{-2}} = 2\left(\frac{1}{1-3z^{-1}} - \frac{1}{1-2z^{-1}}\right) \Rightarrow\] \[h[n] = 2(3^n - 2^n)u[n]\]

(c) step response, s[n]
As in the (a) part, I'm completely stuck here. The solution should be \[s[n] = \left( -8(2)^{n-1} + 9(3)^{n-1} + 1 \right) u[n]\], which smells of Z-transform, but I'm also interested if/how could one do without it?

All I can think of for (c) is using the result from (b) (the impulse response), but I get stuck:
\[s[n] = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} x[n-k] h[k]= \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} u[n-k] 2(3^k - 2^k)u[k] = 2 \left( \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} 3^k u[k] u[n-k] - \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} 2^k u[k] u[n-k] \right) = \text{?} \]

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back