Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinions on VCS 7.0 software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think vcs is better than LDV

VCS MX is for both verilog and VHDL.
plus VCS 7.0 is suppose to be way better. A lot of stuff that is in VCS was donated to accellera for creating the next HDL standard of Systemverilog.

I can not belive in the capability of the mixed sim tools of Synopsys, it's trash.
The bese mixed VHDL/Verilog sim tool is still modelsim, but for pure verilog, vcs or nc are the best choice.

LDV5.0 IS RELEASED

LDV5.0 IS RELEASED

LDV5

what are major feature upgrades in ldv 5

Re: LDV5.0 IS RELEASED

nitr8 said:
Yup that is correct any one has a license file for it.

Does the old one for 4.0 or 4.1 can't support it? I think it would not be too different. :roll:

Who can provide the link of scl for synopsys? The dameon is not shipped with VCS. Thanks in advance!

do a search on this site, you will find the scl 1.2.

where download v@s 7.0???

yes , vcs has nt version but seem not version 7.0

CatKing said:
I can not belive in the capability of the mixed sim tools of Synopsys, it's trash.
The bese mixed VHDL/Verilog sim tool is still modelsim, but for pure verilog, vcs or nc are the best choice.

I don't think so. I use VCS + NANOSIM to do mixed mode simulation under "big standard logic" + "middle scale customed logic" environment. It is really great.

The most important thing is: current VCS only support VCS(master) + Nanosim(slave) cosimulation environment. But in the future, they will support Nanosim(master) + VCS( slave ) case. Do you know what it mean? It means you can replace any subcircuit in a custom block you want to know into a verilog behavior module.

I mean pure RTL simulation, bu code written by Verilog and VHDL, for mixed Verilog/VHDL/SPICE sim, there are some other chioces such as ADMS and ADiT, i have no idea which one is better for mixed hdl/spice simulators.

CatKing said:
I mean pure RTL simulation, bu code written by Verilog and VHDL, for mixed Verilog/VHDL/SPICE sim, there are some other chioces such as ADMS and ADiT, i have no idea which one is better for mixed hdl/spice simulators.

Yep, for pure RTL Verilog/VHDL simulation, I think VCS is trash too.

For AMDS-> only suitable for big logic and medium analog custom block.

For Adit -> under spice +rtl environment,
[Disadvantage]: compared with VCS+Nanosim, Speed poor. and for verilog syntax support is also poor too.
[Advantage]: CHEAP!!!

For VCS+Nanosim -> under spice+rtl environment
[Disadvantage]: EXPENSIVE
[Advantage]: VCS support NEARLY all verilog syntax, VCS+Nanosim's speed is pretty good, MUCH better than Adit.

For my previous application, I need to replace some circuits in design, VCS + Nanosim is my best choice for mixed(rtl+spice) signal simulation,
I ever tried Adit , but it cannot support some verilog syntax( actually, a lot of verilog syntax it cannot support, if you put some timing checking syntax in your library, you will know what I mean). The speed difference
between them, for example, my application simulation takes 1 day in Adit, 20 minutes in nanosim+vcs.

I hope someone can supply me tool information like rtl+spice
co-simulation because my current VCS+Nanosim is too expensive..... :(

Re: V C S 7.0

From my experience.
For AMDS-> Not suitable for big analog block.. Too slow.. =(

For ADit + VCS (w/ ADiT-VPI) combo:
[Disadvantage]: VCS is too expensive.
[Advantage]: Fast! Easy set up for A/D , D/A

For ADiT + ADiT-HDL combo:
[Disadvantage]: HDL is not as fast as VCS.
[Advantage]: Inexpensive! Accurate, and easy setup for A/D, D/A

For VCS+Nanosim combo: -> under spice+rtl environment
[Disadvantage]: EXPENSIVE
[Advantage]: Nanosim configuration for A/D to D/A is to tricky.

So I like ADiT over Nanosim.
I want to try Modelsim with ADiT.. =)

Has anyone try that combo?

CatKing said:

you can use VCS7.0MX

Re: V C S 7.0

LDV 5.1 has both NT/linux/Solaris version

V C S 7.0

VCS is a very fast simulation tool in RTL

V C S 7.0

If you are stuck on Windows, forget VCS, use LDV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back