Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinions on using Fedora Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetra

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a newbie in Linux world, and I've been suggested to start with Fedora as platform
What do you suggest?

Re: Fedora

This is a 1,000,000 $ question.

Basically, if you want set up a server box go for some Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone (CentOS, White Box) or Debian Stable.

If you need a workstation or notebook installation, my personal suggestion is:
1. Fedora Core - Pros: Red Hat compatibility, frequent updates; Cons: large installation, bloody RPM packaging system

2. Aurox - Pros: Red Hat compatible, focused on multimedia desktop; Cons: sometimes it takes a time to get the answer on a question

3. Debian - Pros: Stability (even "Unstable" edition is very stable), good support, very clean installtion, good packaging system; Cons: you have to go for Unstable edition to be up to date

4. Slackware - Pros: good packaging system, clean installation, clean configuration; Cons: It's one man show (whole distro is under control of 1 guy), support

Of cause you can buy some decent commercial distro like Novell SuSE or Mandrake, but you have to pay. On the other hand you'll get printed manuals (especially SuSE is very good) and full support. It's worth to try it.

hi,

in my opinion, if u are an absolute beginner to linux, its better to start with mandrake linux. its user friendly(compared to all other linux es). it is also said to be more unstable than any other linux. but doesnt matter ofr a newbie.

and, if u are confident enuf, then u can very well try fedora core. its gr8! also for that matter, any othe versions of linux, if u plan 2 use for general purpose, like learning linux, environment, getting acquaintance and such stuffs..

if u are very particular abt using the EDA tools in the linux platform, better go for the "enterprise editions" of linux! they are the best, and the most stable versions suited to run any eda application!

hope this helps.

/cedance

cedance said:
...its better to start with mandrake linux...

It is true what cedance wrote to you. The best solution is Mandriva (the new name for Mandrake). It is easy to install and you will not face any problems.

On the other hand, I faced a problem with the sil drivers when I tried to install Fedora Core 3. Although in their support site they claim that there is no problem..

Anyway, I support the idea of installing Mandriva. You will love it! ;)

I prefer Mandrake 9.2!

Fedora

how about suse? i just want try it.

z81203 said:
how about suse? i just want try it.

I 've tried suse 9.2 pro (I do not know about 9.3 pro) and I found it reasonably good. But I will insist on my first proposal; Mandriva 2005!

Or else, you can download it from the link below. It's free!
**broken link removed**

Since I do not want to make a new topic, if anyone wants to install the new kde 3.4 in Mandriva (not in Fedora) he/she can follow the instructions made up from a real guru of linux, **broken link removed**.

If you already clicked on her profile I must apologize because the forum is based on Greek language and there are many possibilities not to understand a thing! The reason I mentioned her is because I do not wish to take any credits since she was the one who told me the following instructions:

1) From the link below download all rpm files except kde-i18n-xxx. For the kde-i18n-xxx you can install only the language of your preference (i.e English).
**broken link removed**

2) You can store all the downloads in a folder in the root /home/yyy/xxx , where yyy is your account and xxx is the desirable name of your folder.

3) Type in the console:
su and press ENTER

4) Type the root password and press ENTER

5) Type cd /home/yyy/xxx and press ENTER, where yyy is your account and xxx the folder

6) Type ls in the console. If you can see the folder's content you can proceed

7) Copy the following and paste it in the console:
rpm -Fhv --force --nodeps *.rpm

When the procedure will be finished logout and login. If you followed the above steps literaly you will enjoy the new kde. Many thanks to fog for her help (I will propose her to visit EDA; she could help many guys who are struggling to learn how to use this beautiful os)

Cheers

edit

There is a chance of facing problems to boot (as I did). If this occurs follow the instructions below:
1) Choose Failsafe option when the boot screen will prompt
2) Type init 3 and then press enter
3) Login with your name and password
4) Type startx and press enter
After following the procedure mentioned above you will boot into Mandriva and you will enjoy kde 3.4!
Be carefull! These instructions are only for those who are using Mandriva. There are not for the Fedora's users!

Cheers

sei_tan said:
Since I do not want to make a new topic, if anyone wants to install the new kde 3.4 in Mandriva (not in Fedora) he/she can follow the instructions made up from a real guru of linux, fog.

Cheers

is Ic5 support Mandriva ?

gerryhsu said:
is Ic5 support Mandriva ?

Answer:
Ic5 μπορεί να εννοεί το chip,αλλά σαν ερώτηση δεν έχει νόημα...
Motherboards with the Intel 865PE/875P chipset that utilize the IC5 south bridge chip bla bla ....
σχεδόν όλοι τέτοια έχουμε,γιατί να μην δουλεύει...
Mια χαρά δουλεύει με το linux.

Translation Greek to English:
Yes. Why not? ;)

My suggestion is that do not get confuse and start with what ever you have on hand, Learning is fun keep going later on when you understand some thing you can choose the one which you like after comparing the one you know and the one which is New or good

start with what ever you have and keep moving

Regards
dEVEN

Status
Not open for further replies.