Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinions on performance of AT89C51

Status
Not open for further replies.

indynetra

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
performance of AT89C51

Does anybody know this uC is well suited for consumer application ?, I am planning for releasing a product based on this uC because of its cheapness, IO and plenty of codememory. I mostly welcomes others openion about this uC

For consumer electronics, this micro is well suited. It is just a little too susceptive to noise and sometimes causes hangups. EMI performance is not very good. But having said that, I have used over 30,000 units of these in the last few years in conusmer circuits. If you have good power supply, it works smoothly. If you dont, make sure you use some kind of CPU monitor.

thanks for your reply, the product may be use in high emi prone area, can you tell anyother 51 series thats well suited in industrial enviornment ?
thx
indy

If you have a look at the 8051 architecture, you might notice two things that are not very well planned with EMI in mind. One is the EA pin at emits a high frequency and the second is the Divide-by-6 clock rate. Having said that, I think you might find the answer yourself. Try using a chip that solve these problems. For example, there are philips parts that have a EA inhibit feature that turns off the EA signal if you are not using external memory. THe divide-by-6 problem is solved by many companies like philis, winbond, dallas etc.

Thanks for your suggestion, can you tell anyother 51 series thats well suited in industrial enviornment ?
I am developing a clone ATS90S8515, it maybe suit you.

You can find some of them on ST

As i know , the MCU have ST also have strong ability when facing the EMI and ESD testing . They used the traditional desgin strategy from buttom to up and custom layout .

In the MCU markey , many of the MCU had been design used the TOP-design flow .

visualart said:
I am developing a clone ATS90S8515, it maybe suit you.
What is the model name and vendor of his AVR clone?

RDC's 1620 support uC well. This device's core is X86. It has two Uart, and two MII. It can run under 100MHZ.
Also this device is very cheap.

Hi indynetra,

If you look for a EMI robust uP, I can suggest you the PIC-family from
Microchip. They have several features like Burn-out detection, proper
POR that will help making a EMI-stable design.

Bye

mr_ghz said:
Hi indynetra,

If you look for a EMI robust uP, I can suggest you the PIC-family from
Microchip. They have several features like Burn-out detection, proper
POR that will help making a EMI-stable design.

Bye

I guess you mean brown-out detection and not burn-out.
I would reccommend Atmel AVR instead of PIC. They have the same features and run at full clock speed. They don't divide the clock speed by 4 like PICs. Therefore you can use a MCU running at a much lower clock speed which results in lower radiation.

It is also my opinion that Microchip Pic (16F877 for example) behaves very good under EMV, much better then Philips 89C51RD2 for example.

regards

Hi ME,

uuups, a small typing error... Sure I meant brown-out. Sorry

Bye

hi,
I would like to know the availability of AVR family in india. I think AVR should include in to our new planned projects. thanks for your all sugetions
indy

Status
Not open for further replies.