Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

openSUSE Linux 10.2 install - freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.

i have tried to install an open SUSE from a DVD onto my Asus A6M laptop, but it freezed.
at the first time i have tried normal install, it freezed at the beginning, then i have tried safe install, also freezed at the beginning, then i have tried the "install without ACPI" then it freezed at the end: hardware confin, then switch to text mode, load some things, start Yast2. at this pint it has freezed.
i have tried another linux: UHU-Linux, its working, but i want suse on my PC.
and of course the windows is also working on my laptop.

so, what can i do?
-not to use suse?
-use an older?

Did you check the integrity of your dvd.
I personally installed open suse 10.2 from the dvd available at their site with out a problem.
What language are you using for the install process?
Try to install it with English as the primary language.
Some localizations are incomplete and could be posing a problem.
Did you partition your disk prior to the install process?
Have you trued to install it from an iso image?
How much ram do you have?

did you make another partition first

method is
backup the laptop drive

dump all partitions

install linux and let it prep the disk

use a small partition size for it say 10gb

then use winxpdisk/fdisk to make the rest of the drive ntfs or fat32 etc

and reinstall windows

problem solved

you need a dedicated partition and linux is happy
finaly use a partition manager{boot manager} to choose the o/s to boot from

also it could be there is a bad atapi driver in your linux that doesnt like the dvd

try too look for an updated installer disk iso

i didnt check the md5 checksum. i didnt know about that.
when the dvd starts, there is an option: firmware test. is that the dvd test? it says there are 6 errors.
i did the partitioning with windows installer. later i installed another linux, it worked.

if the checksum is bad, why is it? how is it possible to download corrupted files? i thought there is an error detection in the internet. maybe if the server is hacked to avoid that...

If you got it from a http or ftp server the probability of a corrupt download is high, there could be a problem with the http or ftp connection at the server or your side, a I had this problem once so now for larger downloads I only use torrent's.

Status
Not open for further replies.