Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

op amp shunt regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanwizard

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could any1 help me, uplaod a complete ckt. I mean working ckt.. Tnx

**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

Reactions: VASR

VASR

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi could any one explain how this circuit works... is the transistor here used to sink any extra voltage that may appear at the output... i.e if there is any extra voltage the op-amp turns on the transistor to sink the current... or does it have any voltage regulation function...

This is the adjustable shunt voltage regulator. The necessary output voltage is obtained by adjusting the resistor in parallel with zener.

The output voltage is compared with voltage reference by the op amp, which in turn will give the higher voltage at TIP31 transistor base when the output voltage goes higher than reference due to any reason (and vice versa when output voltage goes low). Transistor will conduct the higher current that makes the dropout voltage on R1 higher. The result is output voltage is maintained constantly.

3 diodes in transistor base circuit to make sure the transistor will be shutdown entirely when the opamp output goes lower than about 1.5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.